No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hukin and Heath - Christopher Dresser? preserve pot with silver base  (Read 11848 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have absolutely no idea why I  opted to 'save' this, and I'm wondering why someone else opted to save it by having it stapled?
I can't work out whether it is actually silver, but I think at the very least the base is possibly - although I haven't managed to trace the marks on it and they don't appear to be standard British silver hallmarks to me.  The lid isn't marked and to me doesn't seem to match the base design, but it fits the pot perfectly and the pot fits the base perfectly.  The spoon doesn't seem to be that old, and is probably a marriage I guess, but seems to match the base.  Having said all that, overall it does seem to work together as a piece.
I really love it.  Can anyone enlighten me on the glass perhaps, possible age, is it cut crystal or glass?  does that pattern have a name (windowpane?).  All the inside edges around the top are bevelled (or have an arris  ;D), the little panes all are bevelled, the glass seems to be beautifully cut to my very inexperienced eye.
It is quite substantial and heavy and the whole piece is 12cm high by 11cm wide (that's the base measurement).
Thanks in advance  for any help.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
well I've cleaned it up and it is all silver and I am sure it is all a matching set.   :hiclp: The rail around the base is applied with little screws and the handle on the lid is the same.  One of the screws on each piece is marked with a 4.
So I guess the glass pot must be crystal.  A friend suggested that it may have been one of a pair hence the repair, but I also think that if the metalwork is silver that would have been good reason to have it repaired despite not being able to use it functionally.
I have not managed to id the hallmark.  I can find a Birmingham maker with the same mark, but then it would have had English and city marks as well.  The little 4 on the screws looks to be a European 4, so perhaps it is European silver? 
Just a couple more pics because it is so lovely  ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
got it!   It's not silver but silver plate, the maker I found was correct - Hukin and Heath Birmingham, but this is their silver plate mark not their silver mark.  The maker mark seems to date it to before 1919 so far as I can see, as they appeared to have changed it to a different design after that.  It seems they also made designs by Christopher Dresser  :rah: - Obviously I'm not suggesting this is, but definitely a quality maker.
Glad I saved it now :D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
not quite sure about the date now.  From my research it seems to be that mark also was used in the 30's.  Then I found what seemed to be a matching butter dish for sale here - seller states registerd design number 789791 dating to 1934.  Mine has a number engraved on the base 1177.

http://www.iauctionshop.co.uk/c1934-hukin-heath-silver-plate-glass-butter-dish-clt90-p-9451.html?osCsid=e120a189d768a92dea90324b6d6bbef5

I have a couple of other observations on this linked dish - 1) the glass dish isn't the same design as mine and doesn't seem to fit into the base properly 2) also the lid isn't the same as mine and doesn't look right on that dish 3)  I think mine is the correct lid, and I think that dish should have a lid with the handle like mine to match the base handles.

However this does show that my lid is the right match (I think??) because the handles on that butter dish match my lid.

so glass wise I am no further forward because obviously there must have been a large number of makers of cut crystal/glass around at the time especially around the Birmingham area I would have thought?

onwards and upwards  ;D
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
We're listening even if we're not responding M! :kissy: It's cleaned up beautifully, it looks amazing now! Bernard has had a few similar queries which seem to have stopped us in our tracks - I think this is an area which would benefit from someone digging into it as there seems precious little solid information about, which is such a shame given how nice these pieces are.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Anne  :kissy:  I knew someone was listening  ;D
If you or another of the mods has time, please could we change the title to read 'Hukin and Heath - Christopher Dresser? preserve pot with silver base'.  I was hoping perhaps Nigel or Bernard may look in and notice the thread as well.  Many thanks.
My thoughts now are:
1) that this could well be a Dresser design or at least an 'after Dresser' design.  I can't quite get a handle on definites but the bun feet seem to be one of his markers.  Also the design of the rails/base bit, seems to be similar to his letter rack and toast rack.  
2) That said I did find a toast rack in this design with the same shape top as my lid (no finial though) and that was not attibuted to Dr Christopher Dresser but just stated Hukin and Heath.  
3) From what I've read he did go to Japan early on when he first started designing for Hukin and Heath and this does have a distinct oriental feel to the design.  
4) The number 1177 on the base of my piece is not a registered design number I don't think, but may be the design number of Hukin and Heath pieces in their inventory or a design number for Christopher Dresser pieces for Hukin and Heath in their inventory
 I did read somewhere all their design records were lost (can't remember whether it said 'destroyed') in the '50's, but that Christopher Dresser designs were registered with the patents office so I may be able to trace it or not (if it isn't his) that way.

5) This is a fabulously well made piece and I am now very sure all the bits are matching.  I realised the engraving on the lid also matches the way the glass is cut! ( see pic)

having said all that, it is not stamped with his design mark, and only has the H & H and eagle mark, along with the number 1177.  

m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Hukin and Heath - Christopher Dresser? preserve pot with silver base
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
I see no reason why it isnt Dresser the metal work looks OK the glass isnt overly ornate , i have recently sold some Dresser pieces to the Brooklyn Museum in New York and another piece to a University in the USA , There is a very good new book out by Christopher Morley called
 Dressers Decorative Design ,  i will have a butchers in the morning .
I have a fair sized collection of Dressers work ,ceramics glass and metalwork . :tof: :hi:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
 :kissy:  thank you JP - I was wondering if anyone had a book  :)
I really appreciate it.
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:51 AM »
Hi i couldnt find an exact match but i have several more Dresser books and catalogues to check , if you send me your email i will let you have Chris Morleys email ,i am sure he can help . jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand