No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: K9 and K5 crystal  (Read 10576 times)

Offline Dominic Phillips

• Members
K9 and K5 crystal
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »
Hi all

I am a lighting maker and want to have a particular shape of chandelier drop made. I have had quotes from China including the use of K5 and K9 crystal. The manufacturer is primarily a rock crystal worker so, despite there being a fair number of websearch results showing images of items made of these materials looking very much like lead crystal, I am worried that I might end up getting chandelier drops with lots of flaws. I wouldn't personally mind, but this is for a client.

Does anyone have any information on K5 and K9 crystal? Is it glass? I have had no luck on the search engines.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: K9 and K5 crystal
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
Hello and welcome to the show. I suggest you ask the manufacturer for a few sample drops. They will be happy to oblige, I'm sure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dominic Phillips

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Samples are being made as we type.

Just thought I'd see if there was any insider knowledge on this material. It seems to be only recognised by factories in CHina and wondered if anyone knew what it's traditional equivalent would be.

The only other information I have is that the K5 is a similar hardness to K9, but easier to polish.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »
Hi Dominic and welcome to the board. I'm not sure we're going to be able to answer your query but I can suggest a place where you may get answers: the Society of Glass Technology, who have a website here: http://www.sgt.org/cgi-bin/open.cgi?page=index and are very knowledgeable about the chemistry and technology of glass, whereas most of us are collectors rather than being overly techie. Someone else here may be able to add more, but try SGT in the meanwhile. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dominic Phillips

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »
Many thanks, I will have a look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia