No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Exceptional engraving over bullseyes - John Walsh Walsh maybe?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Exceptional engraving over bullseyes--could this vase be Webb?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
My heart was beating out John Walsh Walsh when I saw this... no idea why! I think I'm in love! :love:

I'll change the topic title a bit to see if we can catch the eye of a Walsh person or two.  ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Exceptional engraving over bullseyes - John Walsh Walsh maybe?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:01:18 AM »
Hello,

This is indeed a quality vase with wonderful cutting and engraving, underlined by the way the pattern has been extended to the base.

I am tending toward Walsh at this point, purely because you have drawn our attention to the shape and I have checked the references that you have given, however it is possible that it could well be from another Stourbridge factory, assuming it to be British. For instance, the quality of the work could also be Webb, or Stevens & Williams.

The main reason for posting is that the term 'bullseye' seems to be being used for two different types of decoration. The vase on this thread appears to have a polished concave roundal (similar to a polished pontil mark), which is often referred to as a pruntie.

However, the Webb 'Bullseye' pattern is actually a bulge on the surface of the vase and is not polished, but a continuing part of the total surface of the vase. The bulges are positioned in a series of alternated rows, or bands, over the surface of the vessel.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Yes, the bullseyes are a complicating factor in identifying this vase.  There really are alternating rows of bulges across the top half of this vase.  They have not been polished in two of the bulges that form the center of the two flowers, but the others have been cut or sliced over to form buds or part of the petals.  It was the two rows of bulges that made me think it was a Webb piece, but no one so far has come across this shape vase in their Bullseye line.  And while the shape of the vase does match John Walsh Walsh known pieces, I did not see any examples of the use of bullseyes in their cutting and engraving work.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »
Whilst <whispers>dusting</whispers> the crystal shelf today I realised I have a small vase in this shape without bullseyes which is acid stamped Webb Corbett. May or may not be helpful, but adding for reference. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »

What was it Anne? A sudden rush of blood to the head..............Are you feeling better now??? Dusting indeed ::) ;)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »
I'm fully recovered now thanks Nigel, after a nice mug of coffee and a couple of jammie dodgers! ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
On page 50 of Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass plate number94 there are a number of pieces that appear to  have applied pads or pads and trails and that have also been engraved.
One, third from left, is a sort of big tumbler that has a 'look' in shape of your vase, and has applied pads (without trails) around the tumbler and is engraved.
These are by Thomas Webb & Sons.
I wonder if this angle might be worth looking into more?  Just wondering.

Also on page 124 plate 244 there is a Walsh Walsh vase which appears to be quite similar in shape to your vase.  It is heavily cut in a geometric pattern and it's quite difficult to tell if it is exactly the same shape as yours - to my eye perhaps not at the top, as it doesn't appear to curve in as much as yours does which gives it that lovely shape.  The one in the book looks slightly more 'straight up' without the inward curve.

m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
Most agree that Stourbridge seems likely. The cut decor reminded me of the cut and painted vases attributed to Hugo Masey, the tree root ones. The Webb Corbett pattern books are stuck in the Wedgwood archive in Staffordshire and apparently do not contain much decor evidence, such as painting. Many good quality Webb Corbett pieces do not have acid marks. I thoguht Webb Corbett before Anne posted about having a small marked example in this shape, but Webb or Stevens and Williams would not surprise me. Though this is not his style, some of the best engravers and cutters in Stourbridge, such as a chap in the 1950's and 1960's called T. Wood, in Amblecote, worked outside of the factory premises, in units near their homes, decorating locally sourced blanks, for a contractor, which probably complicates things!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
Might be worth contacting the Webb Corbett visitors centre, anyone got their email address ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
Yes all possible avenues.
 I think the thing that struck me was that Thomas Webb produced items with these applied pads /bullseyes (but without trails from the pads) and which were engraved.
Therefore I was wondering if the glass at least might have been made by Thomas Webb after all I suppose.
aha edited - this is one such goblet in the museum collection - the one I was looking at specifically has spaced out pads on it though much like the op's vase but in the book is photographed with this one and some others.

http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH977/

'Artist: David Hammond (designer); J. Brooks, K. Sloper (cutters); Cyril Kimberley (engraver)
Maker: Thomas Webb and Sons (H. Pearson, C. Lamb, J. Blackham)
Production Place: Amblecote; Stourbridge; England
Production Date: 1976
Production Period: The 70s (1970-1979)
Object Name: Goblet
Object Name: 20th century Rock Crystal Goblet
ObjectNumber: BH977
Summary: Rock crystal style goblet commissioned by Dudley Art Gallery from Thomas Webb and Sons in 1976
Description: Goblet, carved and engraved rock style with eight rounded oval panels, one depicting glassblowers, the rest illustrating different aspects of nature including flowers, fish, butterfly, bird, bee, dragon and fruit; textured stem with cut step in the middle, scalloped foot, upper surface engraved with lillies and underside with lilly leaves
Dimensions: Height 22.0cm
Credit Line: Commissioned by Dudley Museum and Art Gallery for English Rock Crystal Glass Exhibition
Technique: Blown; cut; engraved rock crystal style'

Webb Corbett Visitor centre tel is  01384 399421

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand