No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: did I do the right thing by leaving it? Richardson purple dip mould marked  (Read 594 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I saw the most stunning bowl today as above.  Absolutely gorgeous gorgeous colour.  However, when I looked at the rim there was a 1cm area along the top of the rim  that seemed minutely 'dipped' versus the rest of the rim.  I wondered if it had been chipped or slivered and someone had polished the sliver out?  
So I left it.  But I am considering going back to get it.  Should I or not?  Is it worthless with this flaw?  It's expensive for me so I don't want to buy something that I will never be  able to sell in the future at that kind of price.  However it is the most absolutely beautiful purple glass I have seen.
Thoughts and views solicited most kindly  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Difficult to tell without seeing it but some of these tiny flaws were actually "corrected" at the factory. You see it on frosted pieces for example where the frosting is over the chip.

How was the rim finished? You also have to remember it's old handmade glass and the quality control was not as strict as it can be today. They couldn't afford too much waste for a start and the customers weren't so fussy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Christine
It looked fire polished.  And so did the part that dipped slightly.  It looked exactly the same as the rest of the rim.  The rim finish looks exactly like the piece in Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass  page 142. I had read about corrections being made in the factory and it did feel as though that might be the case.  But if it was restored afterwards, couldn't that restoration have produced that result anyway?  or would a chip restoration mean grinding down the rim? 
I can't remember exactly but I'm guessing the 'lenses' were about similar to the piece on pg 142 in terms of proximity to the rim.
thanks
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Look at the purple Edinburgh Crystal piece above. I can't comment further without seeing it, but I would only buy it if it was worth the money to me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes I noticed the one above and the undulation of the rim on that piece.
The Richardson one is fire polished, has some uneveness like that piece, but not noticeable enough to comment, and then has this one area of 1cm that is a noticeable dip.  I will leave it. Thanks  :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand