No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cheap shipping of heavy glass from UK to US?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Cheap shipping of heavy glass from UK to US?
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:58:19 AM »
Hello all!  Long time no yak.

I was just contacted by someone in Norfolk (UK) who wants to sell me a Lenscrete cambered roof light -- you can see a drawing at the top right of this Laxton's page--  OK, so far, so good.

But the lens is about 8" in diameter, ~2.5" thick and weights about 2.8kg.  Shipping calculators say this will cost on the order of.... wait for it... 75 POUNDS to send to California, an amount I find jaw-droppingly large.  £75 to send a £15 item is not really do-able.

Can anyone think of any alternatives?  Is there anyone who wants to do me a huge favor, and that will be travelling to the US any time in the next year or so??

I want that glass!  But what is with the shipping rates!?  I can't find anything that lets me choose surface over air, so presumably those are "economy" (!!!) rates.  FedEx was no better than Parcelfarce.

Will cry like a little girl if I miss out on this big piece.  And noone wants to see that, I'm sure.

--ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: Cheap shipping of heavy glass from UK to US?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »
Royal Mail is 41 to 66 pounds so cheaper but still a lot (you can check the price at www.royalmail.com).
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »
Ian — Do you know anyone on a US air base?   If so, it might be possible for your seller to get the parcel, addressed to your contact, to the US post office in either Lakenheath or Mildenhall bases, where domestic postal rates might apply.

Also I suggest you contact CMoG, who certainly buy chunky art glass, and ask them how they do it.

Also would you please get international surface mail reinstated.   It was cheap and efficient, never more than about six weeks from anywhere in the US to an address in the UK.   I've only imported one item from the US since the service finished.

Warmest regards,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
I've used these in the past and was quite impressed.  Certainly one of the cheapest with the price calculated using the volumetric dimensions and not the weight www.worldwide-parcelservices.co.uk
Anne E.B

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »
Just a thought: does the light come apart?  As mount and lens?
If it does, it could perhaps be sent as two surface mail "small packets", which would make it massively cheaper (with the risk of half of it getting lost!).

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
Oops, scrub that, I just realised that you said that the lens weighs over 2 kgs.  Sorry.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:12:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am trying to get an exact packed weight/size, then will get some more quotes from the places mentioned.

Chris, the lens is a single big solid piece of glass, so nuh uh.

Bernard, alas, I know noone on an air base or similiar.  Will try to get international surface mail reinstated, but rumors of my influence are highly exaggerated.  I will mention that Bernard C has been discombobulated, and hopefully the name-drop will have effect.

Will report back with a price comparison later, which ought to be useful to others.

And now just so you have something to gawp at, here's a pic of my new 3" square Berger "Lazalite" (tm) multiprism, in unused condition:

This isn't the piece I'm trying to ship, it's just the latest addition to the prism glass collection.  It's a typical Selenium solarized "straw" color, which would date it to the 1920s, nu?  Just after the Manganese era.  Which reminds me, how did they eventually solve the de-colorizing problem without just adding something to produce the "opposite" tint to iron-greenish (which really produces a neutral "off-clear" instead of a true clear)?  Pure sand deposits which produce clear glass are as rare now as ever, so how do they do it?  Mn/Se both solarize, so do they just use something which doesn't?  Rare earths?

--ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand