No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Collection online  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Jos

• Members
Collection online
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
For anyone interested, who may like to help with identification. Use pictures for their own research etc. I have uploaded pics of the collection we have inherited from my mother. I am still adding information to many. Kindest regards Jos. This link should get you there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperweights/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Collection online
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
 :o

There are sharp teeth there, dripping with saliva, coming to get me - eeeeek.... and by p6, I'm seeing tapeworms... :thud:

Seriously, I do recognise some serious Ysart weights - fish and snakes etc. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »
That is a very good collection of weights.

As Sue says, there are some "serious Ysart weights" in there. Paul Ysart weights are my main focus and there are several in your collection that I might covet, if I was a covetting sort of person! I was surprised to see that the double-fish weight has two "PY" canes and that one fish seems to be eating one of those signature canes!

I appreciate that it takes a lot of work to set up and arrange so many photos (I counted about 645) but it would be even better if you could a) remove duplicate photos and b) categorise them all into groups as you have done for "Unknown", "Perthshire" & "Baccarat".

In the "Unknown" group, I can say ...
Number 33/35 = Chinese
DSC_3853/2 = Murano
DSC_3840/39 = Chinese
DSC_3837/6 = Murano (probably)
"10" sticker to base = Chinese
Number 2 = Chinese
The picture weights are unlikley to be able to be attributed to any particular maker. They are usually described simply as "Victorian / Edwardian".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
Green-eyed monster.....oh dear!!

Ysarts in abundance at least nine I saw (4236, 4227, 4238, 4251, 4246, 4167, 4116, 4087) although most seem to be Caithness era and later. I really like the double fish 3865.

The Strathearn paperweight 4199/4200 will be of interest to Richard More as it seems to be a Dave Moir experimental piece from the late 1970's. Nice to see its faceted too.

Nice modern Baccarat/St Louis - esp the overlays.

The eight antiques I noticed are very nice quality too!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand