No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help - Monart type unsigned  (Read 859 times)

Offline Galle

• Members
ID Help - Monart type unsigned
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Hello,

I purchased this from a UK seller who says they have eliminated by process of elimination (?) Whitefriars, Strathearn, Monart, and Nazeing, leaving Gray-Stan... I am not sold on the attribution, but I did like, and did purchase, the vase. Any ideas who could have made this one based on the shape, glass characteristics, and techniques? Thank you!

Warren

(completed listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250761250668&si=OcFgiQNcDp6SJG0Y96mU75vXUig%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: ID Help - Monart type unsigned
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
Hi,

I had this piece bookmarked, partly because I couldn't believe the logic being applied. It ain't this, this, and this - so it must be that. What a load of tosh! No point in emailing the seller as that would likely achieve nothing, other than frustration.

On that note, I have to say that this series of wares have been around for as long as I can recall (I've been collecting for 35 years and deaeling for nearly 25 years). To date nobody has found any clues to the identity of the maker/manufacturer.

The piece you have bought is a good shape and a fair price for these unattributable wares (especially given the BiN price!).

People have attributed all the names that were discounted by the seller, but none of those manufacturers have shapes that match enough of the shapes in the series to allow attribution to them. Over the years they have been always referred to as Czech. This is more than likely a misnomer given what we have been learning over recent years.

As for the Gray-Stan attribution, wrong shape, wrong colour and wrong pontil mark. Shape not recorded as being in their reportoir - my own research combined with the book 20th Century British Glass,by Hajdamach.

Nigel

It may be that other viewers will be able to shed light on this question, if so, it will be another move forward  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Thanks for the information, Nigel - if it did turn out to be Czech, that would make my day, since that is what I primarily collect. Not knowing what it was, I picked it up just based on the apparent quality - I do love a well-made vessel. :)

Based on the internal bubble configuration, I also wondered if WMF might be possible, even given the solid color. Having the piece in hand will certainly give me more context. I do have the WMF/Ikora book and didn't see anything similar, though. :ho:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
The seller was right about one thing though, it would of helped if it was signed. ::)

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand