No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley UV Glow  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Moultermike

• Members
Re: Bagley UV Glow
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
I note an error in my posting of 25th Jan. Uranyl is UO2 2+, not UO" 2-. The fluorescence of uranium in glass is limited to the +6 oxidation state, of which UO2 2+ has the most intense fluorescence. The first time I saw uranium glass at an antiques fair I didn't know what it was, but its colour reminded me of Zinc Uranyl Nitrate, a chemical that I had used in chemical analysis. I took it home and tested it with my Giger counter, which gave a very strong clicking. That started my rather large collection! I also have quite a lot of uranium pottery, which is much more radioactive than the glass is.

Moultermike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
Thank you Meegs but I don't really collect Bagley; though I have acquired quite a lot of it in uranium, I intend to weed much of it out of my collection over time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

shugdens

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Thank you Meegs but I don't really collect Bagley; though I have acquired quite a lot of it in uranium, I intend to weed much of it out of my collection over time.
I know an Iranian guy buying it by the ton  :24:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
 :24:
Clearly though, your friend must be completely clueless about the use of Uranium - you can't make power or anything else useful from it (apart from labelling drugs for research etc.)
Pretty glass is another matter though - is he recycling it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand