No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A good black light?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline quill

• Members
A good black light?
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:37 AM »
Hi gang

I'm looking for a better black light than the el cheapo ones I've got and I'm wondering if anyone's got a good brand/make/model no. they're really happy with?  Favourite store that sells them?

Forgive me, but I did a search and got pages and pages, most of the threads just mentioned 'such and such glows under black light' and I gave up!

If it's not GMB etiquette to mention such things publicly, could anyone who knows send me a message?

Thanks!

Quill

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: A good black light?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:10:55 AM »
I had exactly the same problem. I bought some that were quite poor and didn't work properly, inc from Maplins and Ryness and ebay.

A friend had one of the large ones and I borrowed it and it was great. I now have it on long term loan and I wouldn't bother with anything smaller. I believe he bought the bulb at Ryness although I don't think they sell them anymore.

Some of my results with it are at http://www.hyacinthvases.org.uk/uranium.htm
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
Quill — Mine's the same as Julie's but shorter, about 30cm (~12").   The advantage with mine is that it will stand on one end without support — disadvantage is that there's not so much light for larger objects.   I bought mine off the Internet, having tried our local photographic and lighting dealers without success.   Also I have a portable 6" battery powered version which works well for smaller objects.

Quicktest does the battery version together with smaller testers, and has an information page with a link into their catalogue here.   Quicktest will ship worldwide.

Photographic and lighting dealers are a struggle in my experience.   Here's the conversation (different subject, but don't expect any better) at our local Jessops about three years ago (yes, it's true):-

B.C. — "Do you sell light tents?"

Jessops — "No, Sir, try Millets."   :spls:

Good luck,

Bernard C.  8)

ps — in my experience lighting dealers will try to sell you a fluorescent tube fitting with a standard tube and then charge you extra for the blacklight tube.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
What we need to know is what you need it for. In your pocket or for photography. My OH has just bought me a 21 LED torch one, which is small enough for my handbag but doesn't half give a good blast of light. I've yet to try it for photography. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AlmostUnique. We also have a complete selection of UV lights from keyring to 6ft tube that he has acquired.

Offline quill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
What we need to know is what you need it for. Snip!

Er...would saying 'detecting crap' get me thrown off the forums?  Looking for something to take to shops and fairs.

One with a serious blast of light would be ideal.

Something good enough for photography is a luxury I can barely dream of....

Thanks for your answers, folks!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
Actually it was the 12 LED one, I've got. Just the thing I would say.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand