No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MARBLED GLASS SMALL VASE BOTTLE PINK, WHITE & GREEN HEAVY AND TEXTURED ID PLEASE  (Read 1200 times)

Offline jeanne

• Members
HI

This is the second post today for the IOW uk hospice. I hope you don't think we're getting too cheeky, but since we have been asking for your help we have identified other pieces like them and are consequently selling well and raising much needed funds for the hospice here.
This is a small, chunky piece of glass in several colours making it rather like marble or alabaster. We do not think it is IOW studio as the surface is not smooth and polished but the ridges between the colours cause a ripple effect. In the base is a small area of clear glass.
Size:   height 9 cms. width 9.5 cms. depth 3.5 cms.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
It is from Isle of Wight Studio Glass and also from a range which is often harder to find than some. It looks like a perfume bottle missing it's stopper from the popular Gemstone range, probably opal like this vase: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/MiscellaneousGlass#5526931562586020146

As you are on the Island I would recommend taking it to the Studio before selling it and asking them to make you a stopper, they are very friendly and if you have never been before you will likely find it fascinating.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Hi Jeanne,

John is spot on. It is IOWSG Gemstone 'Opal', the rarest of the Gemstone colourways and not yet on my web site (http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/gemstone). Gemstome was made from 1993 to 1999 but Opal was made in 1993 only. Try to get a stopper for it and it will boost its value quite a bit. The studio used to charge £15 to have a stopper made, but since you are a well known charity on the island they may cut you a deal. I'll email you privately with a suggested valuation.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It is indeed "Gemstone Opal" and I think I know at least one somebody who is going to want it a lot, with or without stopper.

As you're a charity, perhaps it might be better selling it without the expense of having a stopper made, but providing the information to the buyer about how to get it done, should they want it?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jeanne

• Members
Thankyou all.
Once again you have all managed to help us maximise our donations' value.
I will give the studio a go. People here are incredibly generous to the charity and as nowhere is far on the island a trip to St Lawrence will not be a problem.
Will keep you updated as to the outcome.
Regards
Jeanne

Offline jeanne

• Members
Hi
Just a note to let you know that the Isle of Wight Studio have offered to make a stopper and donate it to us. They are Great!!!! Thank you to them.
I should get it next week and then it will be on ebay with a link in the market place
Jeanne

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
How lovely. I hope this really maximises the income for the Hospice.  :rah: :rah: :rah:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jeanne

• Members
HI
 I went to Isle of Wight Studio Glass yesterday and they have made the stopper for this bottle in a gorgeous clear green ( after much consultation with pattern books etc to make sure it would be correct)  and have even found a box of the correct period. Aren't they great? Should be on Ebay next week.
Regards
Jeanne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
You must point out that it's a replacement stopper though.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Good point Christine.

It will made at the Studio to the original pattern, to me that would make no difference. How would others regard a replacement stopper in similar circumstances?

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand