No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: English Glass Dumpy boy on an Elephant  (Read 1476 times)

Offline chucks_mibs

• Members
English Glass Dumpy boy on an Elephant
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
Hello all...I stumbled across this board in my frantic search to find information on this old English green glass dumpy....Its a boy riding on an elephant sulphide. The info i seek is its origin and manufacture timeframe. The information I've already uncovered is the its an "end of day" works from one of the factory's....perhaps Kilner Glass or Kilner Bros..any and all info on this piece, specifically as to which company and timeframe of manufacture would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Jr.
PS it measures about 5 1/4 inches in height and weighs about 5 pounds

Mod: This post has been merged with info about this same item. Please see followng post for images.
Chuck Jr.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chucks_mibs

• Members
Boy On Elephant Green Glass Dump
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
Mod: This thread has been created from posts in response to another "dump" item (See here) and additional info has been added from a second posting about this same item.

Hi Robert, I don't mean to hijack your post, but I also have a green glass Dump similar to yours. Mine has a "sulphide inclusion" of a little boy riding an elephant.....It is my understanding that these are hard to identify as to the maker, but I have seen online and read somewhere that Kilner made little round glass indents molded to the bottom with the makers mark (production line?). Mine clearly shows a spot on the bottom where it looks like a makers mark was there but popped off... however this could be one of those non-production dumps as well......so far, without the use of any of the books that are available, I have turned to this board to seek some of the answers....
Chuck Jr.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: dump
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »

Hi.  The Kilner maker's mark is usually proud of the base, and covers most of the area. It is impressed onto the glass whilst the whole piece is hot, and does not tend to 'fracture off'. Yours looks very like a typical recessed pontil mark - from one of countless makers of these dumps. I have seen it suggested that these sulphides such as the boy on the elephant are late Victorian (whereas Kilner items are generally much earlier) - but I have not seen any strong evidence to support the case.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chucks_mibs

• Members
Re: dump
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
Thank you very much for the info Alan....
Chuck Jr.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand