No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart 1981 Paperweight  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
Paul Ysart 1981 Paperweight
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
     Hi all, bought this recently and although it isn't signed I have good reason to believe it was made by Paul whilst he was asked to showcase his skills at Caithness for a period of time in 1981. Each of the apprentices were presented with a paperweight at the end of this time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Paul Ysart 1981 Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:54:03 AM »
What's that little white spot at the left of the bottom of the stem? Looks almost like a Caithness era/Whitefriars monk cane.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
    Hi ,I noticed that myself ,on the weight it is only a bubble but as a photo I guess it may have the reflection of a cane in it. Regards Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
I have been looking for my information on two similar weights that I bought in August 2008, but so far cannot find the details. I do know, however, that the eBay listing was titled, "A Pair of Paul Ysart paperweight 1980". So I am now wondering ... were these 1980 or 1981?

When I bought my examples, another buyer also bought two. There may have been a few others available at the time from the same seller. I have since seen at least two on eBay again in more recent times, so perhaps some of the first items sold were put out for sale again?

Anyway, they are very good weights and most (or all?) had a mix of Paul Ysart lampwork with Caithness millefiori canes and a Caithness "Peat" ground. My examples are not faceted.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
 Hi Kevin, bought a couple of these weights in september last year and sold one of them recently as I only keep a selection for my collection,the rest I sell on eventually. The guy I bought them off was one of the apprentices at the time,although it stated circa 1981 on the email from him that I received after the auction.
    About a week previously there were two other weights similar but I did not like the faceting at all. I really do like this one a lot, it isn't signed of course so I guess thats why it wasn't too expensive. Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand