No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina egg shaped object? ID = Confirmed Mdina  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Jeroen

• Members
Mdina egg shaped object? ID = Confirmed Mdina
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

I live in the Netherlands and just recently became interested in glass objects. For a short while ago i bought a decorated glass egg which i liked very much at first sight (perhaps a paperweight if so you can move it to the designated topic/thread). The problem is that i can't seem to find any information regarding this object. I can find lots of other objects but not any of this kind. Here are a couple of photo's:

http://img473.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pressepapier1copy5zg.jpg

http://img473.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pressepapier2copy1vb.jpg

http://img473.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pressepapier32cl.jpg

Does anybody know when this was created, by who and so on...

Thanks in advance!

Jeroen

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
Hoi Jeroen,
Welcome.
Here is a weblink for you, it is in English as I can't find one in Dutch for you.
http://www.mdinaglass.net/index.htm
It is a paperweight (presse-papier).
You can find the history of Mdina through the link above.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Jeroen

• Members
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I myself have named the pictures presse-papier so i was just guessing, I have only found ball- and mushroomshaped paperweights made bij Mdina.

I had allready visited the site and couldn't find any information further than the history of the company :)

Greetings,

Jeroen

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »
When could be anytime from the early 70's up to date.

As it says at that website
John Borg (Production Manager) works closely with the company's 20-plus talented and valued craftsmen
I doubt that it's possible to identify which individual made your piece unless Sue has some ideas, but you could try an e-mail to the company.  

A lot of decorative / art glass from the Mdina glassworks is actively traded on www.ebay.co.uk you will find lots of examples there.
I don't remember seeing a paperweight like this one before.
How big is it ?
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Jeroen,
There are two egg shaped Mdina paperweights on this website;
http://www.circaglass.co.uk/phdi/p2.nsf/supppages/circa?opendocument&part=5
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 11:57:38 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello, Mdina did do lots of egg-shaped paperweights, with lots of different colourways and patterns in them. They did lots of other shapes too - seahorses, roundish ones with knops on top, in sizes up to 6" tall, weighing 5lbs, "sculpture" things, made by trailing hot glass on the marver, again in several sizes, some of them look a bit book-endy.

Whitefriars007 has a FANTASTIC duck, (:mrgreen:) most likely to have been made by one of the Boffos. I see on the Mdina history site they say the Boffos arrived in Malta in '71, so they can only have worked there that year!

I'm eagerly waiting for the book on Mdina to come out, as, to date, my opinions on what's what are only guesses.
  As far as MHO goes, I think this style of signature (I've counted roughly 25 different styles) is one that fits in after Michael Harris left, possibly mid-late '70's, when I think they started doing the splodgy stuff. I'm not convinced that splodgy is anything to do with Michael Harris, but I wait to stand corrected.
  I'm also further persuaded to consider this period because of the pinky-red shade in it. Again, I'm not sure that was anything to do with MH or his designs.

I'm afraid I consider this to be one of the most uninspiring times. Splodgy does nothing for me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Jeroen

• Members
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:56:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have e-mailed the Mdina factory and this is the reply they sent me.

good afternoon,

Yes the item you purchased if definatively mdina glass. it
is difficult to say exactly when it was produced as it was in production for
about 10years - most probably must be from the early 90's though - we sell paperweights similar at LM6.90 approx Euros 16.00

i hope i answered all your questions should you need anything else please dont hesitate to let me know

Nevise Said
Sales & Export Manager

Mdina Glass Ltd
Crafts Village
Ta'Qali
Malta
Tel: +356 21 415786
Fax: +356 21 415787
email: nevise@mdinaglass.net
web: www.mdinaglass.net

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina egg shaped object?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »
:D:shock::D

Thank-you very much for posting this response you got!
I can see I shall have to reconsider how old this style of signature script is!
This is why I'm looking forward so much to the book coming out - most of what I know is just slightly-educated guesswork!

I want real knowledge!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand