No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Experts needed - British Pubware  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Barmy

• Members
Experts needed - British Pubware
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
I've been interested in British Pubware and have been collecting for a while.  Some of the pieces I've bought have indicated an approximate date (i.e. 1800 - 1820).  Where would one find the knowledge to issue a date to a piece of glass this old?  I've been looking for reference material but have only found a small book published by Brian Brooks.  How does one become an expert at dating glass or finding a true expert or finding the proper reference material?  What makes the expert who produces the reference an 'expert'?  
Barry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Experts needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
Research, research and more research. Sources of information will probably include trade catalogues, price lists and museums, not discounting books and years of interest.

Some experts are probably considered so by others, some only by themselves. With some (TV personalities) it seems to depend on how loud they shout, much of that is just having the right manner, people defer to 'experts' in a similar way they do to doctors.....

John

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Experts needed - British Pubware
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
Hi Barry,

I have a number of design sketches and the like, mainly of pressed tumblers and goblets, which might help you to date items from the 1850-1870 time period.
Email me at my website if you want to see the images.

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/contact---updates

Neil

Offline Barmy

• Members
Re: Experts needed - British Pubware
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
The problem as I see it, who says the books are correct.  They maybe propitiating the issue.  For example, say a   document that that states that a particular item is from say 1840 because they have documented proof of it in possesion of a person. What happens if that person happen to find the object say on a river bank and the river happen to expose it possibly making older than documented.  This item should have been labelled before 1840 and because of the proof (which is now in error) is used by all the experts (because of incorrect documents) as fact.
Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand