No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber hot-worked vase  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Amber hot-worked vase
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »
This morning, I bought this hot-worked, rich-amber vase...  I don't know its origin, but I bought it because I really liked the shape, the slight 'twist' in the bottom part of the glass, the colour and the weight.  It's 18cm tall.  

The vase was very dirty when I purchased it, so the details weren't very apparent...  It was only when I got home and washed it, then excitingly held it up to the light, that I noticed the inside part of the vase is reminiscent of a condom. :spls:

Ahem... Cough, cough...

Does anyone recognize the maker?  I thought it could be Czech, but I'm not so sure.  I don't think I've seen anything like it before.  At least in glass form.  :24:

Thank you for looking.  I apologize for my unladylike sense of humour.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Amber hot-worked vase
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

I am curious about the maker of my vase, and would appreciate even the gentlest of pushes in the right direction.  I've attached some more photos, taken from different angles, hoping it might help.

Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Hi Anik,
this is a very nice vase!
The shape reminds me very much of the Novy Bor 1970ies multicolour vases in Dusan's gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/exat53/NovyBor#
If you look closer some of them have a similar interior "reservoir" ;D

I have not seen these single coloured yet, but as they do come in so many colours...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »

Michael, thank you for your input.  There are some similarities between my vase and the Novy Bor pieces, including the internal 'reservoir' (fabulous way of describing it   :)) but I'm still not completely convinced. Maybe Jindrich or bOBA will drop in and take a look.

I appreciate the help!  :kissy:

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:26:03 AM »
I reckon it could be czech only because of the shape of the top and that I have a vase with a similar top but the body is different.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Do you think it could be a Sklo Union vase by Vizner for Rosice? I don't know much about Czech glass, but if I had found your vase, I would have wondered if it was his work.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
Rosie, thank you for your input...  but no, the vase isn't by any of the Sklo Union factories as it's not pressed.  It also isn't a Vizner design.

:hi:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »
I was looking through Jindrich's CGRs and found a jardiniere by Karol Holosko for Lednicke Rovne on page 3 of 1969/1 similar in form and colour to my vase:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19691?authkey=Gv1sRgCI79voim54qFmgE#5513795285470412178

Considering I bought my vase from a dealer who gets his merchandise from a market in Slovakia, I think I might be on to something...  Any thoughts?

Thank you for looking.  :hi:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »
Anik I can see the similarities.  To me the jardiniere looks more 'purposefully' designed though somehow.  
I'm not keen on the interior of the vase (nor mine that has a similar thing) only because it looks as though a mistake was covered up  :-[  of course you know that having said this, it will now turn out to be by some amazing designer and worth a fortune   :sun:
m

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
m, thank you for your reply...  I'll admit that you are perhaps right in saying the jardiniere is a little more put together than my vase, but then again, a little wishful thinking doesn't hurt.  Plus, I still think I'm on to something.  :)

I'll just add that the vase weighs 709g.  

P.S.  I do like the shape of the internal 'reservoir'  ;D -- It gives an otherwise unassuming vase an 'oh my' factor.  Everyone needs a bit of 'oh my' now and again...  

P.P.S.  When my mom was here, I gave her the vase and innocently told her to hold it up to the sunlight so that she can appreciate its real beauty...  She happily did, only to let out a large gasp and shove the vase back into my hands with an "Oh Anik!!!".  I never mentioned what I thought it resembled...   :24:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand