No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this 'opalescent' shade French??  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: is this 'opalescent' shade French??
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
glad my thread prompted a successful find of a matching glass shade rosie, although sorry to hear you have an asthma problem.    Funny expression isn't it, this..... 'landing light'  -  what the $**? are we implying.............that we get 747's dropping in for tea.                But must stop this banter, or I'll be kicked off the board. :)
Coincidentally, started watching the Isherwood thingy on the box last evening and am sure that one of the light shades in Berlin was just like the one in your ebay link  -  but is it 'opaline' (as the seller states), or just an example of spatter glass??    Anyway turned off, as couldn't stand all these blokes kissing each other.
As mentioned earlier, certainly in my childhood, the fashion was to have a glass bowl as the main ceiling shade (hanging on three chain like supports), and these were often in some sort of colourful spatter pattern  -  so guess I can always go out and buy a length of discreet brass chain, and hang this one in my front room, and remenisce about the '50's.   Should give a warm 'sunset' glow when the electric light is turned on.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
It's a lovely shade Paul, and I think you must persue the search.

On the matter of glass shades in the Deco syle, I always remember that my Grandmother's were full of dead insects when she took them down to clean....that won't be a problem with yours....they will all fall out on top of you!

Must fly,  got to see an executive jet safely onto the landing! :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
If you are still there Paul.....you do have a habit of dashing off..............

maybe, yours was like this one and is missing the metal bits....have a look.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-Deco-Glass-Lampshade-Ceiling-Hanging-Special-/110654524223?pt=UK_Antiques_AntiqueFurniture_SM&hash=item19c3860b3f
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »
I sense that this coffee coloured shade is more 'deco', whereas I feel mine is more nouveau  -  I cud be well wrong, but think that the '20's style was more for opaque coloured glass rather than opalescent (and onyx)  -  but would like to think that this one is much more like mine as regards the price  (£95 buy it now) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
Paul, I meant the way it was hung up and the reason for the small hole in the bottom of the bowl....not necessarily the era or the colour!! Tut!
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand