No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Best way to clean??  (Read 6493 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Best way to clean??
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
I'm exhausted reading all this,  it might just be easier to go out and buy a new vase! :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 05:59:05 PM »
Keep caustic soda (Sodium hydroxide) away from your glass at all costs - it destroys glass, eats away at it, turns it all nasty and cloudy.
In labs, it's always stored in plastic bottles. If it were to be put in a glass bottle, with a glass stopper the two bits would fuse together.
I don't know if the same things are used for toilet cleaning in different countries - I certainly don't think there's acid in your ordinary Domestos!
There's lots of things which remove limescale - but they're not appropriate for places which have soft water and don't deposit lime. (ie. here in Scotland.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
Personally I would not use kitchen roll for a piece with such a narrow neck.  It is prone to splitting when being withdrawn thus ending up with a chunk of paper in the vase.  I always use tightly rolled newspaper, which has more strength. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
That's a good idea - especially rather than kitchen roll two bits in length - it could come apart at its little perforations.
If it's just one bit of kitchen roll deep, it's ok as long as you tear it into a thin strip at right angles to the perforations.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
I just used silica gel which i purchased cheaply online. It soaks up the moisture very well & can be just skaken out as they only swell to about 2mm!

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »
Shaken Out*

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »
I've tried Harpic toilet cleaner and it hasn't worked at all. I found spirit of salts (hydrochloric acid) yesterday when I was in a DIY shop buying varnish so will have a go with that. Some stubborn cloudy sickness does not respond to Magic Balls, vinegar, egg shells, all those ordinary options. I also got cerium oxide to try. Now I just need the Flex-Shaft attachment for the Dremel.
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
hi juli  -  surprised that you are able to buy hydrochloric acid that easily -  must surely be a weak solution??    I had it in mind to buy some Domestos this week, but if your consclusions re Harpic are negative, then I may well not bother.    I'm coming round to the conclusion that a tumbler is possibly the best idea, particularly as you can go to bed and let the thing work on its own - so may eventually go down that road.            After my comments about caustic soda, I suddenly remembered that in certain proportional mixes with water, it can generate a lot of heat  -  so probably not a good thing to put into glass  -  aside from the other potential disasters that Sue has mentioned already.    Do let me know how you get on with the spirits of salts, and I might then try, if you have some success.    I think that cerium oxide and Brasso are as good a good combination as anything, if you can actually get into the piece of glass with the flexible drive. :)

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
thanks for that  -  I will wait for the results of julie's tests  -  will be useful to see how effective it is before I rush out and invest heavily in the product. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand