No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Crystal PEACOCK Bookends - any ideas? ID = Steuben  (Read 1953 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Cut Crystal PEACOCK Bookends - any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »
Suzzi, now I feel pretty silly - I had a book here that I didn't even remember having: Frederick Carder: Portrait of a Glassmaker.

It shows one of these exact birds.

http://www.enchantmentglass.com/peacockref.jpg

Wish it were mine!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
Well thats a new one on me. I've had a set of both Steuben Gazelle & Pigeon bookends, but the cutting on them is pretty elementary to say the least compared with the Peacocks although maybe they are later ones. Don't have the FC book. Company in my hometown bought Steuben a couple of years ago when they were on the verge of going under. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
Ken, it's neat that we both learned something new about Steuben! I've never seen the pigeons or gazelles - the man was definitely prolific as well as genius.

The Carder book that I have was put out by the CMOG, and I think I bought it on ebay pretty reasonably. I wasn't spending a lot on books back then, so I'm sure I didn't spend over $20, if that.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand