No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fostoria Line 2373 Window Box w/ Silver Deposit  (Read 935 times)

Offline SellingThings

• Members
Fostoria Line 2373 Window Box w/ Silver Deposit
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
Good morning !
I have a Black Glass Window Box from Fostoria Line # 2373 with Silver deposit on it. Since I am new to glass collection/verification, I would like one of the experts here to verify my identification. I would also like to find out where I can find out more information on the silver artistry that was used on this piece. It is hallmarked "Rockwell" on the base. This item measures a striking 8 ¼ inches long by 3 3/8 inches wide by 4 ½ inches high to the top of the frog.

Any assistance would be appreciated as I want to sell this gorgeous piece as soon as proper identification is made.

Thanks -
marty

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Fostoria Line 2373 Window Box w/ Silver Deposit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
We don't have experts here; just people who know a few things. A quick search here [LINK REMOVED] reveals three examples of your box [LINK REMOVED]
Rockwell overlay examples can be found here [LINK REMOVED]

Rockwell was a decorating company.

For prices you'll have to look at completed sales on ebay and elsewhere on the Internet.

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SellingThings

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:39 AM »
Christine,
Thanks for the reply - I have seen the ChatAboutDG gallery of Fostoria Line 2373 Window Boxes and have read about Rockwell.

When this box was made, Rockwell purchased several items from glassmakers such as Fostoria and then designed themes and patterns which were then  deposited on these pieces of glass. They turned the pieces of glass into beautiful works of art.

What I have been looking for is a name or theme that Rockwell used when this piece was crafted. I'm sure that this was not the only piece like it that was made. If not, then this is surely a one-of-a-kind work of art.

Thanks again,
marty

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »
You can be sure that Rockwell turned out plenty of these and other items from a wide range of glass (and ceramics) manufacturers with similar designs. Silver overlay is not particularly uncommon or difficult to do, but Rockwell designs are rather nice. You perhaps need a book on Rockwell for the answer you seek or to ask on chataboutdg, as we have few US members on here interested in depression glass that aren't there.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand