No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Scandi decanter/carafe/bottle  (Read 766 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Scandi decanter/carafe/bottle
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
had thought that this 'seamed neck' style was manufacturing evidence of Aseda (Sweden) only, but turns out was used by others, and cud even be Johansfors (Sweden) - Randsfjordglass (Norway) or Lindshammer (Sweden)   -   so another theory down the drain.      Looking at the poorly ground pontil mark on the base, I even got worried that I'd bought Chinese, so now not very sure what it's provenance might be.    Very randomly bubbled, a sea green colour, and measures something like 11"/275mm tall, and the inside of the neck doesn't in fact show the sort of wear that would indicate a decanter.   Not a great deal of wear, but not made yesterday I don't think, and I have looked thru Leslie Pina and Bill Geary's volumes without success, so hoping someone might recognize the design.    thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: possible Scandi decanter/carafe/bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
Nice bottle Paul, sorry I have no idea about the maker. It's partially cased (much clearer than describing it as made 'on the post'). The same technique is used in this vase: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5429991066471690930
and the top in detail: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5429991078089267602

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
ssshhhh  -  I'm not allowed to do any more typing John  -  it's post 10.00 o'clock, and I get told off for waking people up ;D           Will catch you tomorrow - bye for now. :hi:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
well, I looked again this morning in bright sunlight, and for the life of me can only say that it doesn't look cased in any way, shape or form  -  but I defer to your knowledge if you say that it is.     I also have a similarish piece of IOW - I think from memory Gold Aurene - but it's packed away somwhere and not sure now - but as with your example, it is easier to see the clear casing on those.       Re the bottle, I've looked carefully again at the top mouth/lip area but it seems to be sea greenish throughout.     Would be great if you see it in the flesh so to speak  -  meet you somewhere on the M4 about mid-day. ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
It could be self-cased...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »
thanks Christine............. sorry, don't know that one  - are you able to explain please :).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
Not cased in a different colour or clear. You can see the top of the second casing, Paul - it's that bulgy bit at the base of the neck. An initial thin bubble would be blown, and the neck shaped at the top of it, then the body is given an extra partial casing, up to the base.

(I think when it's referring to bottle making, the expression "on the post" is meant to be accurate. I still just think it's completely confusing - especially after somebody explained it wrongly and the story got around that the bottom and the neck are made seperately and then the neck is "dropped" into the bottom - utter nonsense!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
very many thanks for that Sue  -  I'm presently at work, but will look again at this bottle when I get home :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand