No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby red cased in smokey amethyst vase -- Murano?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ruby red cased in smokey amethyst vase -- Murano?
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
I would be interested if I can get an ID for this nice vase.

Ruby red glass cased in smokey amethyst (looks more grey in artificial light).
Height 20cm, ground rim and base.

As it does neither look Czech nor Scandinavian to me (but rather nice quality) I thought possibly Murano, but I could be wrong once again :)

Thanks!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Ruby red cased in smokey amethyst vase -- Murano?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
As I am really fond of this vase (much more than I thought when I bought it) I am giving this a bump before it disappears forever in the unresolved glass queries without a single answer…

Any ideas about this vase regarding age, origin, maker?

I did quite a lot of research myself, most in the Murano direction, and found some imho similar pieces regarding colours and/or style from Cenedese:
http://www.craigvandenbrulle.com/store/furniture_item_detail.php?id=119199
http://www.botterweg.com/Auction/Bid/tabid/59/auctionid/12/tag/Italie/lotid/4426/language/en-US/Default.aspx
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/antonio-da-ros.-sommerso-vase.-designed-c.-1960-664-c-4e54b21846
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/333008

Don't worry -- I do not claim this to be Cenedese ;D -- but at least could Murano be the right direction for further research?

I still think that the colour combination in my vase doen't feel very Scandinavian, but I found a vase with a similar shape (but different finish and colours) by Sea Glasbruk: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/scandinavian_glass/sea_glass/seaglass_home.html
(You have to scroll down...)

Thanks for looking!

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
It looks similar to that SEA glasbruk vase but the casing looks too deep.  I'm not saying it is, but my first thought was that it reminded me of some Bo Borgstrom vases for Aseda, but that's without researching and just off the top of my head.   Also I do have some Borgstrom vases and I don't think they have cut and polished rims, I think they are fire polished but that also isn't really conclusive to be honest.
Edited to add, actually I've just checked and yes one of mine does have a cut and polished rim. 
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:29 AM »
Thank you so much for contributing, m!!
I was already a little bit frustrated that no one had any ideas regarding this beautiful vase...

I had already looked into the Bo Borgström designs (and have to admit that there are similarities regarding the style -- and some daring colour combos as well :)).
What put me off was that I couln't find anything in this unusual amethyst-grey colour nor a similar shape, that the casing in my vase is almost half its total height, and the different finished base and rim. (Well, thanks for checking yours, so the cut rim wouldn't rule it out).
In another thread here is a base shot of an Aseda vase http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33074.0.html, which looks nothing like the ground and bevelled base my vase has.

But I will research this further!
So you are not so convinced of my Murano theory?

Michael

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »
I think your bottom casing may be neodymium glass, if, as you say, it changes colour. Try holding it under a fluorescent light over a piece of white paper. If there is no hint of purple, then it probably is. I think the ruby may affect perception of the colour change. If that is true, Murano would seem more likely than Scandinavia IMHO.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Thank you very much, Christine!
Have already checked that -- the casing doesn't contain Neodymium. I have several Neodymium glass pieces to compare, so I am quite sure. (But I thought the same when I bought it).
It does look a little bit less purple and more grey under fluorescents, but no hint of blue...

By the way, I don't know if this is helpful: the casing goes up to the top of the vase -- the red is just a thin overlay at the inside (sorry for inadequate technical terms :)) Have a look at the pic of the rim!

Still I think the smokey purple is a very intriguing colour -- makes this vase so special!

Michael

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:07:59 AM »
Red often is a thin layer. It's expensive and the colour is quite intense.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »
Thank you once again, Christine!
Now that I'm home from work I checked once again under fluorescents, the change is minimal (looks just a bit more greyish, but still with amethyst hue).

What do you think about the first link I posted to the labeled Cenedese vase? - This is the closest I could find so far. The casing seems to have an almost identical colour to mine, and the shape looks similar as well...

Michael

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »
I would say there were enough similarities for them to be from the same maker.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
Me too, I thought the Sea Glabruk vase you linked too was not a match, the shape is similar but not the same.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand