No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase Help...  (Read 547 times)

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
Mdina Vase Help...
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi all I have a Mdina vase that I need info on if possible. Its globe shaped with a small opening in the top
it has blue and clear glass trailed around body from top to bottom signed Mdina on base, does anyone
know if there is a common name used for this design and what years in production.
It weighs 925 grams, 80mm in height and 115mm in diameter.
Regards Paul.

GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Vase Help...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »
No name for them as far as I know Paul, my guesstimate to age is late seventies to early eighties, have to stress the guess bit....

Not as commonly found as some shapes but certainly not hard to find, sometimes they are described as bowls which always confuses me. :D

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
If you study it a bit more carefully, you will probably find that the clear base vase is full of the mesh-like crizzle of silver chloride effects, as well as all the silver chloride effects on the straps. I think these are in a similar vein to some larger ashtray pices - there seem to be about three shapes in this sort of design - this round bodied one, and two sizes of flatter bowl, the larger of which has a wide "extra" rim created by the blue strapping. The rests for the cigars or cigarettes seem to have been put in by plonking a large round bar on top of them and pushing down .
These are very complex and beautiful pieces of glass, each is completely different and individual and I think they are very highly under-rated.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Thanks John and Sue it is a nice piece and does seem quite complex. Regards Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand