No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112282 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #360 on: June 08, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »
David

I have placed some new photos in my Chance Bros album you might like to take a look, not sure if they are Chance. Rose patern and Grass

Many thanks for a wonderful topic I look in quite often to see what is new.

I have seen here in NZ a Chance like glass with a label on for NZ with pictorial country views ( Constable like) also one with a label made in Japan, would this be of any interest, as I can look somemore and may be a photo.

Looking forward to the Book.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #361 on: June 08, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »
I was just browsing PKay's super glass album and found another of those peculiar twist pattern ones there... have you seen it David? The pattern is red!
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/?action=view&current=Chance_Glass_Triangle_Swirl_Bowl_Re.jpg
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #362 on: June 08, 2006, 07:27:37 AM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
Hmm this Chance disease seems to be spreading. Simone's got it now!

This damned thread!   :twisted:  :wink:  I even found myself looking at a clear glass plate with transfers of blossom on in a charity shop yesterday, and thinking, "Hmmm.  I wonder if that's Chance? I wonder if David's got a picture of that one? Perhaps I should get it, just in case!"  And I hate the stuff!    :shock:  :roll:  :oops:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #363 on: June 08, 2006, 07:42:02 AM »
That is the thrill of research, you cannot expect to like everything but. as you strive to cover all production the unfolding story can become more important than the aesthetics of a single piece. I am not a great fan of this stuff but I do find a few pieces very attractive, it mostly leaves me cold. But the story that is unfolding is a fascinating one that is bringing a lot of aspects of more modern glass production under the spotlight.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »
Heck, you go out for the day and then find all this when you come back! :twisted:

Quickly, as I've got to zoom off in 20 mins and sing my little heart out. From the top:

Simone: Yes, thanks. I'm starting to catalogue these 'Seriesware' dishes, however they do appear to be thin on the ground. There are six in the [Edit: Butterfly] series, I believe and you can see them listed on that web page.

Tony: Many thanks - I'll get back later when I've more time to browse. Strange how you're finding these in NZ :)

Anne: Ooer - think what would happen if you put that on eBay as Chance. Wonder how much it'd fetch??? Anyway, a intriguing piece of glass, but it simply confirms that this design is definitely not Chance. Pity, as I quite like it... :cry:

Christine: Same design as my hexagonal plate as well. The disease is one of the friendly viral strains, but can be highly infectious.

Leni: :shock: Go on, buy it. You know you want to   :twisted:  :lol:

Frank: Congrats, you are the 500th poster. Quite appropriate really, I suppose. :D

But as you state, I am finding this research really fascinating. Very much like a book with no ending and pages keep getting added on. I'll freely admit I'm not a great fan of most of the floral patterns, but the graphic designs do have an incredible pull with quite a history.

But do you know the story of the Anemone pattern? All will be revealed in a new book that can be found in your local bookshop... :roll:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
If you need some professional editing when you've written this tome, get in touch. My editing's much better than my typing, and my grammar don't dangle no participles.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2006, 09:10:08 PM »
OK Tony, I've looked at your new offerings and there's some very interesting stuff there!

1. The single yellow flower is actually Anemone, but they obviously just snipped this part out from the main transfer for such a small dish! First time I've seen an example like this.

2. The red rose is not one I've seen before. It suggests, with a gilt rim, that it is Chance. As it's fluted and th size appears to conform, then the number of flutes should be 12 for an 8"-8½" plate.

The pattern could therefore be the last Bouquet pattern, thereby dating it to around 1979: the only trouble is I thought I'd found that one... hmm, any thoughts anyone:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2235

3. The Grass pattern — I'll stick my neck out and say it isn't Chance. Not a pattern I know about and the size isn't Chance-like. However, I believe there was an Australian company called 'Ceratic' (check sp.) that also made 'bent glass' products, so it could be one of theirs. A very attractive design though! I have absolutely NO information on 'Ceratic' - apart from the fact they were probably operating in the 1980s - so would welcome any help here.

4. The small pin dish could be Chance, but they measured 4½" across the centre. I don't think it's seriesware, but more likely commercial 'Mottoware'

5. Sadly the Fragonard pattern I already had!

6. The turquoise 'Trippy' flower is called 'Canterbury'. I assume this is about 7" diameter with 10 flutes?

7. Can you confirm the number of lfutes on the Swirl plate - there should be 12 for this size.

Many thanks for sharing this small collection: quite strange to see these in New Zealand  :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #367 on: June 09, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"

2. The red rose is not one I've seen before. It suggests, with a gilt rim, that it is Chance. As it's fluted and th size appears to conform, then the number of flutes should be 12 for an 8"-8½" plate.

The pattern could therefore be the last Bouquet pattern, thereby dating it to around 1979: the only trouble is I thought I'd found that one... hmm, any thoughts anyone:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2235

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that three of the four patterns David has on ChanceGlass.net as Bouquet are correct and the fourth one - Tony's Clematis Plate (Bouquet type 3) is not part of the Bouquet series.

The reason for this is that I managed to find my last copy of the KH Bailey ceramic/glass transfers catalogue and this shows a transfer set of 5 designs - three of which are shown by David as Bouquet, and we have seen an example of one of the other 2 transfer designs on a Fiesta cakestand but did not know what it was called. The pattern (Bailey 6714) was called by Bailey Autumn rather than Bouquet.

4. The small pin dish could be Chance, but they measured 4½" across the centre. I don't think it's seriesware, but more likely commercial 'Mottoware'

This pattern is one of a series of named knights from open stock as well. I have a different knight from the same series on a ceramic plate. I'm pretty sure they were in the catalogue prior to the one I have managed to find. I'm still hunting for the earlier catalogue in all my piles of books.

5. Sadly the Fragonard pattern I already had!

This is the same as mine too Tony... I have two of the Fragonard patterns - I think there are 8 aren't there David? So we still need to track down the other 6 patterns.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2006, 09:49:24 AM »
Anne,
Thanks for all this information. :D

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that three of the four patterns David has on ChanceGlass.net as Bouquet are correct and the fourth one - Tony's Clematis Plate (Bouquet type 3) is not part of the Bouquet series.

I'm tending to think you're correct and ahve amended the web page, with a query where appropriate. I does mean we've probably nailed these two ranges!

Bouquet, and we have seen an example of one of the other 2 transfer designs on a Fiesta cakestand but did not know what it was called. The pattern (Bailey 6714) was called by Bailey Autumn rather than Bouquet.

One definitely has an Autumnal feel to it and has blackberries included: hardly "a bouquet", so I'm wondering if this is another pattern* and we're still missing a Bouquet pattern?

* I seem to remember alluding to an 'Autumn' pattern a while ago, but can't remember where this information originally came from.

This pattern is one of a series of named knights from open stock as well.

I wonder if this is part of a series then? I can't see it being promotional if it were a stock transfer.

This is the same as mine too Tony... I have two of the Fragonard patterns - I think there are 8 aren't there David? So we still need to track down the other 6 patterns.

I thought there were six in this series, but this should come to light eventually.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #369 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:32 AM »
Quote from: "Tony"
I have seen here in NZ a Chance like glass with a label on for NZ with pictorial country views ( Constable like) also one with a label made in Japan, would this be of any interest, as I can look somemore and may be a photo.

Missed this, sorry:

Yes, any photos of other 'bent glass' products from around the world would be most welcome. This sometimes helps eliminate those patterns or shapes that can be very 'Chance-like', but are of interest in their own right.

The Japanese example may be from a company in Osaka but I've yet to find the name.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand