No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardson Webb or Other?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Richardson Webb or Other?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
I would likely lean towards Bohemian for this piece. A large quantity of these thorn, stick and tube vases have been traced to Bohemian production with the use of the Butler Brothers import catalogs from the early 1900's.  Much of the production is traced to Kralik. Although commonly represented in the market place as English in origin, a large amount of production represented that way is Bohemian.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
.........after it has been ground to level it out.

Really? Cold worked (ground) to create a level, then reheated??? Never seen that in a studio, or on a production line come to that. Why would you grind an item before heating it to create the rounded (fire finished) edge?

Very simply, generally if made by hand, then the piece will be cut while hot, blown out and worked, before receiving it's final re-heating to create a rounded edge whilst on the end of a punty iron. However, if a production line then the item will be scored, the top knocked off and a gas flame used to 'soften' the edge (such as on a wine glass).

As for the flat rim being Continental, yes that was certainly a rule of thumb that I was taught a long while ago, however, with the collecting of things like Dartington and Caithness this can become a little misleading. Worth bearing in mind when looking at items though.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »
I wonder if if might be a studio piece.  The feet look rather...um...primitive? for someone like Kralik, Webb or Richardson.  Maybe I'm not seeing them well, though, and the glass seems to have a greyish tinge indicating some age.  Are there signs of wear (not that that always means much)?

"...if it's clear glass,as it looks, I doubt it is uv reactive"

A lot of clear glass is UV reactive, and that could provide a clue.  For instance, if it glowed pink it's more likely to be a later piece.  That's a whole 'nother subjeck, though!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »
My experience is that much of this glass type of glass produced by Bohemian houses such as Kralik, was produced quickly for the export market, and as a result, some of it lacks the quality of execution of other product they manufactured.  The look of quick execution also leads me towards Bohemian export glass.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Whatever the quality (or lack of it) may look like, many of these thorn vases were made by reputable Stourbridge factories such as Webb, Richardson, Walsh, Boulton & Mills, etc., etc. and Registered Designs for similar pieces can be found in the pattern books of many of those companies.  I have a cabinet full of the uranium ones, which do all have the fire finished rims because of course the fire finishing was part of the process of colour-changing the uranium glass.  I do also have a clear glass set, like yours ic1, but they too have fire finished rims.   

However, I would not automatically assume that cut rims means continental.  This attribution by Manley was apparently due to his somewhat Nationalistic view that cut rims were inferior to fire-finished, and being 'inferior', all items with cut rims must of course be continental, since English glass was always superior  ;) 
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
because of course the fire finishing was part of the process of colour-changing the uranium glass
Only if the "opal" effect was required

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
Yep.  All my 'Triffids' are the opalescent sort of Uranium glass  ;D  Should have pointed that out.  Thanks, Christine  :thup:
Leni

Offline ic1

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Hi just to add fuel to the fire I have been able to uv them and they have a lovely green glow to them........ any ideas?????Thanks.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
The lovely green glow just means that they contain manganese - a very common decoloriser mostly used in older glass (it became too expensive). Yours are not uranium glass. So no, no clues there. You'll most likely never find the answer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand