No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki vase Tamara Aladin/Nanny Still design?  (Read 5501 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
Riihimaki vase Tamara Aladin/Nanny Still design?
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
I am quite happy in my own mind that this is a Riihimaki vase but I have seen it credited to both Tamara Aladin and Nanny Still. Would anybody  care to make a definite attribution please? Thanks John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glas Vasen

• Members
    • Glas Vasen and more
Re: Riihimaki vase Tamara Aladin/Nanny Still design?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
I see at the Book Fire and Sea as a Riihimean and was found in the Export Catalogue of 1976
Page 27.
as well say
“In most case the Riihimaki case mold-blown pieces are heavier and of finer quality than Aseda; this Riihimaki usually have polished rims, while Aseda are hot finished.

If is a Riihimaki Vase I guess a Tamara Aladin Vase but other GMB know it 100%.

Sergio

http://glas-vasen.ch
Glass vases gallery Invite you.     P.S.  do not forget to use your scroll wheel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

Could this be it? accredited to Tamara Aladin I believe, a Very Talented and prolific Designer!

http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/vase-1376-brown-en

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:47:29 AM »
Scandi items are not one of my main interests, but I thought it would be good to browse the desgnlasi.com site for a bit of education.

However, although it is clearly a very useful reference site, I found it a bit cumbersome to use as nothing within specific categories seems to be in any particular order. And, when I look under the "Manufacturers" menu, there is no entry for "Riihimäki" - but there are items within the site for that maker! Perhaps I would need to scan every entry under the "Designers" menu to locate the "Riihimäki" items??

Anyway, taking my 'IT Quality Control' hat off, when I look at vase 1376 that has been suggested, I think it is not the same as the one queried here. Although similar, the proportions of upper to lower halves are different and the lower half of 1376 is wider than the one queried.
KevinH

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »

Yes Kevin I agree that there does appear to be a difference in sizes but MAYBE its just photographic?but just thought I'd throw it into the mix! Also agree with you that the site is very difficult to use, I normaly use it as a cross reference ( I like to have attributions from several sources)

I hope you get a definite answer soon John, sorry I couldn't be of help on this occasion.

Warmest Wishes,

John

The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
There's definitely a few similar designs with slight differences:

1) 2) 3) 4)

1 = 1374 by Tamara Aladin [Link]
2 = vanmann's vase (not sure of design number or designer, but surely it must be Tamara Aladin based on the others?)
3 = 1376 by Tamara Aladin [Link]
4 = 1375 by Tamara Aladin [Link]

Kevin, on the manufacturer menu you need to look for Riihimäen Lasi rather than Riihimäki, this link shows all the Riihimäen Lasi (Riihimäki) designs:

http://www.designlasi.com/en/category/manufacturers/riihimaen-lasi

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks to all for suggestions, am now happy with Tamara Aladin

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
vanmann, I am sorry to say this but: as you see, none of the vases that Wayne linked have not been identified as Tamara Aladin designs on the site. This is simply because there is no official documentation of that being a fact.
They are widely attributed as such and may even most probably be. But, however, no proof has been found.
I personally think that they should not be attributed to her for this reason but we should stick to approved facts.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
Whoops!  :-[  Sorry you are right, I think I am so used to seeing these attributed to Tamara Aladin in the Miller books and elsewhere, that I completely overlooked the fact no designer was mentioned!  Seems strange that the pattern numbers are known but not the designer.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
........  Seems strange that the pattern numbers are known but not the designer.

Quite logic, Wayne, actually: It seems there are no original sketches or else left for proof and these vases were by the time marketed as "anonymous" that is the 1975-1976 export catalogue did not mention the designer, but of course, the pattern number. It is a pity, isn't it.
For some reason, I believe, the local glass museum reasearchers may have also interviewed Tamara Aladin, but still haven't documented these as hers. I wonder why.  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand