No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green lithyalin ashtray  (Read 949 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Green lithyalin ashtray
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »
The glass fairies bought me this yesterday, it looks like lithyalin glass to me but as I have never handled any before a little confirmation would not hurt.

As far as I can tell once the fashion for lithyalin faded it was no longer manufactured, so I assume that this ashtray dates between around 1830 to 1850. Is it possible to attribute this to a particular maker, surely it was not only Ergermann who produced lithyalin in green? It looks pressed to me, is it likely that the mould would have been used again at a later date for a non lithyalin version?

All info and opinions please, my books don't have much to say on this. The one that might is out 'on loan', sods law. :usd:

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Green lithyalin ashtray
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
It look more like malachite glass; perhaps Hoffman if old or Desna if new

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Not from where I am sitting Christine, show me a bit with a regular pattern and not random swirling and I will reconsider. I did wonder about it being an ashtray though but it seems ashtrays were beginning to be used in the early 19th century and glass was the material of choice.

Forgot to mention size, it's a little over 13 cm in diameter (5 and a little bit inches) and feels heavy for it's size.

John

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
Definitely malachite glass (though some catalogues refer to this colour as 'Jade'), definitely Czech 1930s-present. As Christine suggests it could be a Hoffmann or Schlevogt pattern but I doubt it's that early. Halama too is another avenue to explore. There are huge amounts of this malachite glass about, many patterns have been in production for 70 years +. In addition to Desna, there are many poorer quality versions about.

Regarding distribution of colour, malachite glass can be very variable, some is very streaky, some very regular. It is not unusual for the colour variations to roughly follow the moulded shape. It is not surprising that it resembles lithyalin glass - both imitate stone and were likely produced using similar methods. Older Lithyalin glass is usually cut with broad facets rather than press-moulded.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
I stand corrected!

Too tired to look into it now, sleep beckons.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Thanks Christine and Steven, I have to agree that it is malachite glass. The colouring is very similar to items I have seen described as Schlevogt, I have no idea how well attributed they were but I will be keeping a look out for more examples.

The ashtray has found a home in my kitchen, it lives on the table and I now keep my change in it. ;D

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand