No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern can be good too!  (Read 646 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Modern can be good too!
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Picked this up today lovely rich golden amber with white trailing, fire polished rim nearly 13" high and really well made do you think sometimes we are to quick to say 'it's modern' and put it back down again? I know I do  and I did  :huh:
Looked at the price £2 and of course picked it back up again, some nice glass around that was probably made yesterday but actually is rather nice.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/GoldThreadedVase#5601689020430626594

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
Re: Modern can be good too!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »

I'm with you on that Chris. It can take a while to overcome our 'snobbery' with newer pieces, but lets not forget they could quite easily be the collectables of tomorrow. My policy for some years now has been, If I like it I buy it!!

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »
When I was in Germany in March, I deliberately picked up a Nachtmann Slice vase. It's still sold in the shops, it's not handmade, it's not crystal, the design is recent (2007), it's probably produced in very large numbers, and it's not even cheap (35 euros. Most of you would consider that overpriced, yes?). But despite all that I LOVE it, and I didn't want to leave Germany without picking one up.

So, I know exactly what you mean, Chris, and I echo the sentiment. I don't even care if it will never be valuable or if it will be sold for 1 euro on the fleamarkets a few years from now. Sometimes a great design is just a great design...

Nachtmann "Slice". A design by Viktoriya Braginsky (US designer) from 2007.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »

Astrid,WOW!!!!! I'd pay 35euro for that! It's GORGEOUS!!! This is the kinda thing I'm talking about, truly a collectable of tomorrow! its what our parents and grandparents did, buy what THEY liked cos THEY liked it,not cos it was gonna be valuable. thats why we have such lovely things today!!! Thanks Astrid.

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
I don't have a problem with contemporary...but I have to admit I do have a problem with modern mass-produced glass vases. I have a few, but really if I admit it, it's because I would far rather have something others don't have.  I like unique, therefore studio glass is good for me, and vintage pieces even if they are pressed glass, just so I know I wont walk into one of my friend's houses and see they have the same thing. 
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
They are both fantastic, Chris and Astrid!!  :o  I would have bought them, and I don't even collect vases.....except when I do!!
Most of the Paul Miller animals I buy are pretty modern,  but I like them....nuff said! :sun:
Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand