No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone recognize this as a Daum piece? Urgent! ID = Antoine Leperlier  (Read 3514 times)

Offline wiggy131

• Members
Re: Can anyone recognize this as a Daum piece? Urgent!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
Hello,
        Thankyou everyone for the info so far! I have been looking into all the names you suggest but the signature and style doesn't match. I have contacted a few Daum experts and they said not by Daum.
Then I managed to contact the Daum Factory and they said it definatley wasn't by Daum. They suggested "Andries Dirk Copier". So I contacted the V & A museum in London and they say it's 100% not by "Andries Dirk Copier", but they think it is possibly French from the 1920's - 30's from the pictures. I have now contacted the Antiques Roadshow glass expert, but he's away in Sweden until June!
So I am completley stuck at the moment!
Keep looking for me if you can, someone must recognize the impressed mark, fingers crossed.
Best Wishes
Vickie 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
Are you anywhere near the east coast of Scotland, Wiggy?
I've been following this with interest, as there is (was?) the same vase in an antique centre in Abernyte, near me, here in Dundee.  :sun:
Is it the same vase, or just another one?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
They suggested "Andries Dirk Copier". So I contacted the V & A museum in London and they say it's 100% not by "Andries Dirk Copier", but they think it is possibly French from the 1920's - 30's

The piece just screams art deco so that is an easy answer. And whoever came up with Copier does not know his onions.

Offline wiggy131

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
Yes Sue,
             That is it exactly, I bought it from Abernyte and the tag described it as Daum, Nauncy. I do the Ingliston antiques fair in Edinburgh, and I was hoping to take it there to sell, but I didn't like to sell it untill I know the definite maker. It's the first time I had been to Abernyte and they have some really lovley pieces. I don't know if you took it out of the cabinet, but it was a ton weight and really good quality.

Dear Ivo,
            The Daum Factory suggested Andries Dirk - so I googled his name and it came up as Copier. So drew a blank their. Tonight I have just e-mailed the publisher for the Glasmarkenlexikon. They have kindly given me the e-mail address for Carolus Hartmann so I'm going to try that now and I'll let you know how I get on!
Thanks for all your replys
Vickie

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
I didn't take it out and handle it, Vickie - and I did not trust the Daum attribution and it's not really my sort of area.
I could see it was something rather special - but I collect Studio glass.
I'd like a bit of pate de verre, just to have an example, but I couldn't quite justify buying this to myself and it wouldn't fit in anywhere.
However, the quality of the piece simply screamed at me.  :smg:
If you're ever in Dundee - do, please, come and visit my collection - just email me first!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
I've seen this image before somewhere, some sort of alien maybe. Sorry, cant help with ID.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
I thought it might be Faust - the faces on the ends are remarkably similar to Faust images I've seen elsewhere.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
This reminds me very much of the early work of Antoine and Etienne Leperlier whose grandfather was Francois Decorchement. Can't remember how they signed but I do remember they were very keen on preserving the connection to Decorchement so there is a possibility that AD could be Antoine Decorchemont.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »
you can always ask him....
http://www.antoine-leperlier.com/

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
Hi Vikki,  thanks to aa's response, I found this....if you read the text it says the signature is in a lozenge...?? AD   :X:

http://collection.cmog.org/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=maker&s=Leperlier%2C+Antoine&record=0

It is very much of the type that your piece is, and may throw some light on the whole provenance....I do hope so.  I have learned so much about glass trying to find this maker since you first posted the thread.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand