No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chrysoprase? Bohemian or French? Uranium green opaline perfume bottle  (Read 4715 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yep agree  about the stoppers and the historical markings for matching.
I'm thinking that since Baccarat was often not marked they are still in the running, given the type of glass, the shape of the bottle and immaculate finish.  But since the historical documentation seems to be skimpy I will probably never know, hence many of these being listed as French but not specified maker. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Baccarat may know. Or you can try and find a match in the Launay & Hautin catalogues - I think Pamela has those online.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks for the leads Ivo :)  off to investigate further and may try and contact them as well.  I'll report back  ;D
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I don't get the impression, certainly from looking at shed loads of decanters, that the positioning of 'matching' numbers is of any significance - however, I might stand to be corrected with regard to scents/colognes.    With decanter stoppers, the number may be on the end of the stub, the side of the stub or even the neck of the stopper.    As far as the bodies go, they maybe on the top of the flange, the underneath, the inside or the outside of the neck of the body, and even on occasions actually on the very bottom of the body.     Of course, unlike Baccarat (for example) the Nos. on decanters are purely marriage Nos. (matching Nos.) and as far as I know do not signify any specific producer/year.
I found your link very interesting m - because the attached pictures are of a u. Baccarat scent, and I thought for a moment that the list would give a year date for this piece, but unfortunately not, and as the preamble says the list is not complete, so no conclusion and can only think it is post 1936, possibly.    Irritatingly, the Baccarat method of numbering seems rather haphazard, so can't make educated guesses at dates.     I hope you don't object too much to me showing these pictures on your thread m, but thought you might like to see what are obviously Continental script Nos. (not European :)) on a Baccarat scent - if the mods consider inappropriate, please remove. :)  One No. is on the end of the stopper, and the other on the base of the body.        My Nos. don't seem wildy non-English - I'd be looking for a very long upward sweep for the figure 1 - but from the 8 and 9 you'd probably punt more for the Continent rather than English.    If you contact Baccarat in Paris .... patrimoine AT baccarat DOT fr [Mod: email address anti-spammed] ...hope you are successful  -  they were certainly very helpful to me last year.  Best of luck.

P.S.   Anne thanks for the expanation re my other link...........we sound like train drivers, all this 'coal on' ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Continental script Nos. (not European Smiley)

The continent you are referring to is Europe (as opposed to any of the other six) and has been since antiquity (though the number has increased with time). Our lazy English shorthand is the Continent.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello Christine :hi: - I was, as usual, being a little picky on the grammar and correcting what is a common error when people speak of England in relation to Europe and what we refer to as the continent (of Europe).    To speak of England as being separate from Europe is, of course incorrect - it is part of Europe (albeit the northen part).   The continent (of Europe) is however, something most definitely separate from England, and when we speak of matters continental we are implying that lump from the Urals to the Iberian peninsular.   I think m was saying that if something was English then it was distinct from Europe - but, of course, Europe contains England - and in this instance we need to draw attention to the fact that there is a difference in scripts.      Come on, someone stand up for me ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
  Come on, someone stand up for me ;D

Sure: it is late and you're tired. Tomorrow is another day.

:24:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :24: Ivo you are on, what is known here in Europe  ;D  as, cracking form today.

Paul, I'm sure you are probably right   :sun:
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Scotland, Wales and Ireland (both north and south), just like England, are also part of Europe, Paul.  :P
But in the british isles, we do have a habit of referring to the parts of Europe over the sea from us as "the continent" - probably short for "the continental mainland."

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Is there any chance this could be a Steuben bottle?  or are all Steuben pieces marked?
I've come across some Steuben perfume bottles that look to be this shape.

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/lotInfo.php?i=7836
thanks for any advice

uhh..edited to add that I then managed to find the website with the drawings on for perfumes/colognes and I can't match it.. :hb1:

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand