No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small smoke-green globular vase, controlled bubbles, LÖTZ paper label...  (Read 6181 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Bought this small (height 7.5 cm) smokey green ball-shaped vase with controlled bubbles today, because it looked nice and Scandinavian, cost 1,- Euro and had a paper label (which I didn't look at closely - cost 1,- Euro :)). Bottom nicely finished with ground and polished pontil mark.

To my surprise the label was much more interesting than I thought:
the first line I am not sure of, most likely TIROLGLAS, or maybe TIPOLGLAS (or maybe something completely different ending with -GLAS).
Second line is quite clear, reads LÖTZ - 1830

What do I have here?
My search didn't yield much, couldn't find anything similar from Lötz. Neither did I find a connection from Lötz to Tirol (most western province here in Austria).
The label has a Lötz symbol bottom right (ram rising from a crown), and some eagle symbol upper left, which could be the coat of arms of Austria (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswappen_(%C3%96sterreich)#Geschichte), or that of Tirol http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tirol_Wappen.PNG?uselang=de, or...?

Any ideas regarding age, designer etc. of this vase?

Thanks a lot!!
Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
As I am still curious (and have put quite some effort in the macro pics :)) I hope that somebody can enlighten me with this piece:

Any ideas regarding this interesting label?
What has it got to do with Lötz Klostermühle? Even extensive searching didn't turn up anything similar from LÖTZ...
What about the age of the piece?

Thanks (and sorry for being obstinate once again :wsh:)
Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I found this set of stemmed wine glasses in pastel colours also with a box and label that sounds to be the same or similar to yours. Seller says they looks 60's and notes them as Lotz Tirol glas.
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you very much, m!!

Very interesting that there are other items with the same Lötz and Tirolglas label! (And good to learn that the word really seems to be "TIROL" and not something completely different).

Searching for "Tirolglas" turned up virtually nothing (2 cristal pieces on an Austrian auction site, and this wine decanter: http://cgi.ebay.de/Alte-Weinkaraffe-Glas-Metallstaender-Wein-TOP-/110654719324); but all 3 have totally different labels...

So what has Lötz got to do with Tirol?
And why would there be post WWII items with Lötz label, when Lötz ceased production before?

A mystery :)

Michael

Offline Galle

• Members
Sorry to be so late to the party- your vase was made between 1948 and 1954, during the six years that Tirol Glas was made under this label. After bankruptcy and a major fire in 1939, the Loetz company operated as Kristallglasfabrik Spiegelau GmbH), directed by Karl Baumann. In February 1942, the company was bought at auction by Julius Altmann-Althausen, whose son Kurt married the eldest daughter of Friedrich Spaun, Maria Luisa. This company, Glasfabrik Klostermühle vorm." J. Lötz We., Inh. Julius Altmann-Althausen, was liquidated in 1947; however Julius Altmann-Althausen set up a new glass works in Kufstein in 1948 called Tiroler Glashütte Altmann Althausen, Johann Lötz Enkel KG. It was this company that was responsible for this vase, and the label attached. The company operated for only six years. In short, while it has the Loetz name on the label, and there is a corporate line of succession, the company and the glass it made had no real technical or artistic connection to the company formerly known as Loetz Witwe.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hello Galle

Thank you for taking the time to write out the history and the corporate link.  Much appreciated as I often wonder about the timeline of these various enterprises and to whom each of the owners might be related.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :) Thanks from me too.
I was reading it, gobsmacked that somebody actually not only had the relevant knowledge but had taken the time and trouble to write it all out so clearly.
I'm sure a lot of folk will be very grateful for this. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline tremblas

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass french
    • France

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
A main point on the eBay vase (linked to in the previous Reply) is that it has an oval label stating: "Made In Czecho Slovakia".
KevinH

Offline Galle

• Members
By the way, the designer of this piece is almost certainly Rolf Eugen Rehfeld (the original poster's ball vase).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand