No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Glass Identification? Whitefriars??  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Sussex_Oast

• Members
Re: Uranium Glass Identification? Whitefriars??
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
No problem Paul! ;D
Thank you too for the compliments! It is a lovely piece and I would really like to know if it is Whitefriars or not! I'll just have to wait and see if anyone has any info on it :X:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
 :hi: It looks more like Webb to me IE the shape is not typical Powell also it looks a little thicker and heavier than most Powell (Whitefriars ) pieces , i would like to hear Nigels opinion as well .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sussex_Oast

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
Thank you for your interest. I have looked through all my Webb photos and cannot find anything similar to this piece. Do you happen to know of any similar pieces or photographs of them?
cheers
Simon

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
Webb did a uranium glass, called "honey amber", which is a very dirty brown colour.
Until you get a ray of sunshine on it.  :sun: :sun: :sun:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
Whitefriars straw opal is uranium, but this is not that. The straw opal pieces tend to much finer and more delicate as JP says. Many manufacturers made uranium glass like this with opalescent detail. I doubt that you will find a manufacturer.

Uranium glass comes in shades of yellow, shades of green, shades of blue, shades of cream, white, grey, pink and shades of brown/amber. If you count the various shades, then yes many, many colours.

Barrie Skelcher's books are a good place to start, though his attributions are not all correct. General glass books of the period/country you are interested in are good too because coloured glass was often made in several colours, including uranium containing ones.

Offline Sussex_Oast

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »
Thanks Christine!
I was hoping for a positive i.d. but I know it's a mine field!!! I'll check out the books you suggested, thanks!
I do have what I believe are Whitefriars Straw uranium dishes. Maybe I should post them up to see if they really are the real thing!
regards
Simon

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Webb did a uranium glass, called "honey amber", which is a very dirty brown colour.
Until you get a ray of sunshine on it.  :sun: :sun: :sun:

Just an FYI:  In the back of Hadjamach's book (BRITISH GLASS 1800-1914), there are formulas used to make glass by Webb.  There are 19 different formulas that use uranium oxide/dioxide as part of the formula, and any of those will glow. 

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
yes thanks, and I knew Sue was having a little dig at me (but very nicely, because she is a nice girl, apparently :P) - and you are referring, of course, to page 432 in said book.     I think that an equally interesting page is in another book, although it concerns the same manufacturer i.e. Webb (English).     If you look at Barrie Skelcher's  'The Big Book of Vaseline Glass' (Schiffer 2002) - page 119 - you will see that Table No. 2 is columned to give the estimated density and uranium concentrations in Webb's Nineteenth Century Mixes.    It would appear that in Hajdamach's book (not Hadjamach by the way), his list of formulae are for five finished colours only.    However, in Skecher the author actually names these 19 resulting colours, with such diverse hues as Carmine, Dark Casing Green, Rich Topaz and Lustrousstone's 'Lemonescent'.   I have to say, however, that I haven't a clue what 'Oriental' 'Cyrysoprase' or 'Tricolour' look like.     So, I will grudgingly accept that Sue was correct with many, many colours/hues  -  only joking Sue.   Perhaps Christine will now tell us what 'Orienta'l and 'Tricolour' look like.       Thanks for the email, at least it gets us looking at some of these more obscure matters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand