No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small blue hotworked vase... Czech?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Small blue hotworked vase... Czech?
« on: May 25, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Hello,

I bought this small blue hotworked vase, thinking it was Czech, but now I'm not so sure.  I think the base is chamfered, albeit very lightly -- then again, it could only be my wishful 'seeing'.  The vase is 16cm high and weighs 620g.  It looks terribly familiar, though I don't recall where I've seen it.

Thank you for looking.  All comments greatly appreciated.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Small blue hotworked vase... Czech?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »
Anik:

I'd have bought it, too, as it's an interesting piece. The colour immediately made me think of a piece I bought for the same reason as you  bought this one. I still haven't found a maker. I'll be interested to see what others say about yours.

David

https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove/Unknown#5496911937898044338
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
David, thank you for your comments...  maybe someone will be kind enough to help both of us out.  :)

To me, my little vase looks Czech and feels Czech -- just the lack of a more distinguishable chamfering to the base concerns me.  Then again, the vase does have what appears to be a fault which happened during production...  a small piece missing from the edge of the base.  It isn't a chip as it's completely smooth and 'soft'.  Perhaps more attention wasn't given to the vase because of the fault?   One more thing which might be helpful (or not)...  I purchased the vase from a seller in Slovakia.

:hi:

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
A nice vase Anik. I cannot help much but I thought this vase was Czech when I saw it 18 months ago in a smoky dark colour and nearly bought it, but I have no evidence about the piece.... could be Czech, maybe unusual ZBS but as likely is Magnor or similar - I really do not know but a nice thing! The chamfer-bevelled edge to the base always suggests quality to me.

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
... could be Czech, maybe unusual ZBS but as likely is Magnor or similar

Oh Robert, say it ain't so...  It has to be Czech.  I'm a collector of Czech glass, not Norwegian.  :spls:

But at least you said it was a nice thing.  Joking aside, I greatly appreciate your input.  Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand