No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German crystal label - ST in a G?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
German crystal label - ST in a G?
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
I saw this vase on ebay, and because I have a similar one. I was happy when this particular version was showing a label. Only - I have no clue to which German glasworks it might point to. From the way it was made, I assumed up till now that it was Marsberger Glaswerke (because of how the top of the vase looked).

It's a silver coloured, long label in a sort of scroll style, saying "Kristall Handarbeit" and a logo of the letters ST in a G.

Any ideas what ST in a G could stand for (the G probably for Glaswerke or Glashütte)?

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.de/70er-Jahre-Design-Objekt-Glas-Kristall-Vase-B-/270758931095?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item3f0a7d6a97

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: German crystal label - ST in a G?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
??????   ????????   ???????????????????

NOT RELATED to your vase ......but I did find *another* glass maker that uses those initials of  TSG  ??? 

You can see it here:  http://toyo.sasaki.co.jp/e/company/history.html

This is unworthy info related to YOUR vase, but thought it was funny that I did find those initials used somewhere else by another glass company.

That is all..

???????? :thud:??????????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »
Still looking

STG might mean (Saint Louis Glassworks) or GST (Glasswork of Saint Louis)

All guesses..

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I am not finding anything ?????????????????????????????????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

STG might mean (Saint Louis Glassworks) or GST (Glasswork of Saint Louis)

No way. Could be a Gistl label?

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I really think it's German, which both the text of the label and the style of the solifleur vase seemt to suggest, so Saint Louis doesn't seem to fit (PS - from using the German language it could also be Austrian, Luxemburg or Swiss, of course).

The only Gistl labels I've seen look different, and they used the GG letters at that time (opposite one another), for Gistl Glas (here's an example of that label, scroll down:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Vase-Glasvase-Gistl-Glas-50er-Jahre-Fifties-/140528949876?pt=Design_Stil&hash=item20b82d9a74).

I'm sure they could have used different style labels, but usually they don't change their initials, so I'm not convinced Gistl fits either.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
https://www.glasmarken-lexikon.de/marken.php?k=Buchstaben+ohne+Umrahmung%3BA-Z&b=stg
shows your logo - but only (paying) "premium users" can access the company info.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
I suppose, in theory, we could be considering a company formed between 1945 and 2006, since the book version of Glasmarken Lexikon covered 1600 - 1945 [although there are some entries in the book for marks / labels after 1945] and the online version covers 1600 - 2006. :huh:
KevinH

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
Thanks for mentioning the possibility, Wuff.

So far, membership doesn't look like something I'm willing to do. They might have this one, but that would be a first in over 10 searches I tried of unknown labels, sigs and marks. No use paying for access to something so incomplete.

Astrid

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »
I suppose, in theory, we could be considering a company formed between 1945 and 2006, ...
and
... They might have this one, but that would be a first in over 10 searches I tried of unknown labels, signs and marks. No use paying for access to something so incomplete.

I had another look at their web page, and their (partially difficult to read) instructions. Apart from guests they have three categories of users:

Registered users (free of charge) get a little extra info. So I can now tell that the logo was taken from a label of around 1967 - which doesn't tell us anything about the time of foundation of the company, of course.

Quota users (€ 10) will also get the name of the company - for up to 20 marks within a year: only if you actually request the info for a mark you have found, 1 search will be deducted from the quota. In other words, if you find 20 marks within one year, and request the related info, you pay 50 cents per mark ... becomes more expensive if the quota is not used up.

Premium users (€ 66 per year) get unlimited access with additional info, e.g. links to all other marks used by any given company. This will only be of interest for the "professional", I guess.

Just a thought - based on another topic I'm interested in - genealogy: several Swiss church records are available on CD, which are quite expensive, far too expensive for the occasional limited search. Several researchers have bought these CDs for parishes where they research a lot - and offer lookups (free of charge). Is there anyone on GMB, who already is a quota (or premium) user - or would become a quota user, to offer something similar? Whoever is interested in using this offer, would have to search for the mark himself (as this is the time consuming part) and submit the URL where the mark was found - so offering this service would only be a few mouse clicks (plus the € 10, of course). Refunding such small amounts of money is not worth the effort - so users of the church record lookup are invited to donate a small amount to a good cause.
Whilst helping collectors, this would also be advertising for the web page - as some collectors, after seeing a few examples of their info (without paying) may then decide to become paying users themselves.
What do GMB members feel? Will 20 marks per year found from the 15'000 marks (of 11'000 artists or companies), to make this worthwhile?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Astrid, here is a similar design attributed to V. Hanus

Is Jindrich back, please?

:girlcheer:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand