No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: where did these faces originate? tourist ware or cast glass specials?  (Read 724 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I found these recently - but have not been able to find anything remotely like them.  I like them (they are faces after all  ;D) but I can't decide whether or not they are mass produced or not.
The gold paint on the heavily coloured one looks like someone took a paintbrush to it with that gold paint you get in jars (and that it may well come off with a touch of acetone ::)).  The yellow splodges are in the glass.  The other seems to have had some gold leaf applied to it after making.  They both look to have come from the same mould.  The glass doesn't really give me that 'recycled' feel but on one is very dark green (bottle?) glass and on the other is a sagey green glass.
They measure 12cm long x 8.5cm wide and about 5 at the deepest.
Anyone?
thanks in advance
m :sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
close up of one
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
anyone?  any thoughts on how they were made, how easy it would be to make them even?  :sun:
I did find a studio in the States called Blowfish who do a similar idea with faces and gold, but their faces are all opaque clear glass.
Ideas would be good  :)  Many thanks
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Bertil Vallien's "drowned children" from Kosta http://www.swedishartglass.com/shop/viewitem.asp?ID=199 jump to mind. These were (or are) hugely succesful and iconic and would have generated a few followers...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Ivo  :)  I've just had an inspiring trawl through some wonderful glass and mounts - I had wondered if they were meant to be mounted somehow.  In fact I'm kicking myself as there were a set of three.  The first one being completely plain, the second being the one with scarce decoration and the last being the one most decorated, now I think about it.
I left the first one because it had some damage  :thud:  Now I'm wishing I'd bought all three  ::)  I will find a way to display them together as a pair somehow.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
If it's any help, my first thought on seeing these was they should be closely related to Bertil Vallien's "Brains" series.
(I want a Brain. Preferrably a Janus one - the type on a flying wedge shape..... my life is not complete without one.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue thanks.  I'd have been delighted if they were BV Brains.  But I'm still delighted with them even though they aren't.  I would have wanted a brain ....but now I have two heads (despite where they are from) I am happy  ;D  I'm going to investigate finding someone locally to make a stand for them.  I'm also going to go back to the lady I bought them from and hope she's still around to get the other one if possible.
thanks all for your thoughts and input - much appreciated. :sun:
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand