No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian ??? Trumpet Wine Glass - Any Queries??  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Georgian ??? Trumpet Wine Glass - Any Queries??
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
my apologies to Peter if it appeared I was being a little disparaging, certainly not intended :-[  - perhaps Peter is able to comment on my thoughts re the pub glass suggestion, and use for this shape of drinking glass. :).       C19 Pub glasses are (currently) one of my favourite areas of collecting, and I'm on a bit of a high with these things at the moment, so guess passion got the better of me, and I had overlooked Peter's contribution.          One of the big gaps in literature - at the moment - is a lack of something really comprehensive on C19/early C20 drinking glasses........we're awash with books covering the C18, but the Victorian era (at least post 1830 ish) is poorly covered, and it's an interesting period for drinking glasses.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
HI Paul ,
             No apologies necessary, pub glasses sounds like a very good description ,as to what was drunk from them , anything you like I think , what was used for what is a subject that is always very fluid (hee hee),I would still opt for 'ale' though as suggested if small  possibly spirits.

Cheers ,
             Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
Hello Everyone :fr:

Anne(Moderator),  I am not fully getting the reason for you copying the quote that was made by Peter/oldglassman, especially paying attention to the word "think", which also is in Pauls comments.  I took this as not being a positive answer,  :thud: but what makes me think I will get that now? :24: The comment was;        
  I think I can say for sure that these are not georgian glasses

just to add I think Paul.S's quote about the blind was inappropriate.  A blind/drunken person?   :huh2:  I know a lot of blind people, I have even studied sign language and it is remarkable what they are capable of making. The rest of the comments by all could certainly attribute to the investigation process.   :smg:

Never a truer word spoken in jest

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
obviously wasn't my day for old drinking glasses  -  although I imagine we wouldn't expect a sightless/very near sighted person to handle molten glass.   But anyway, we'll go just for the drunks then, o.k. ;)         However, I would agree with you, Madam, there is a a lot of obtuse grammar on the GMB :24:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
Peter is an expert on 17th and century glasses, but without handling such items it is difficult to be 100% certain of age.

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
Paul.S,
  :hb2: :hb2: Do you need a shovel?    :24: :pb: :ooh:
Never a truer word spoken in jest

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand