No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Signature on Fish Vase - Lalique???  (Read 17227 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Help with Signature on Fish Vase -
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
Hmmm, just looked at the signature again, and thought I could make out the numbers 74321, so I googled "Lalique 74321" and found this, same vase, exact same signature:

http://global.ebay.com/SIGNED-LALIQUE-74321-SWIMMING-FISH-VASE/220790268825/item

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Okay...sorry all but I do not think it's meant to be Lalique - I have many R Lalique pieces and no comparrison....there is no Q or downstroke and the main word is another R as there is a downstroke that doesn't come out on the pic and it's identical to the first R.  

It is obviously a good piece of pressed glass as the finishing is excellent and it's quite thick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
another one without sig

::)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
Sorry not intending to cast any aspersions here, apart from on the sig itself.

can you show us a photograph of the side of the vase we cant see? It looks like a vase in one of the Barolac images that come on the CD with Markus Newhall's book Art Before Industry but I can't see enough to judge yay or nay.

John

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
Hi John

The vase is basically 4 large fish in various positions amongst the weed.  This is the other part you cannot see.  It would be nice if it is Barolac as I have the vase with Sea Horse handles and thought that was the only piece with a fish theme.  Thanks for your imput.  Markus

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
It's difficult to say for sure but it does look like a vase (pat no 11062, at the top of the list) which has a wavy rim, difficult because the drawing does not give as much detail as your photos but the fins look right..... Height in the catalogue is given as 190mm. That about right?

John

Found this with a simple google, related? http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8991338

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Hello.  The vase is 190mm tall and now that you ahve given me the number 11062 I have been able to find a drawing of it in the Barolac Catalogue.  Thanks so much.  that is all I wanted to know really that it was deffinitely Josef Inwald and it would have been nice to be able to identify the signature but it's not important.

Thanks all  -   Markus

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
The signature does not belong, chances are somebody was trying to have it masquerade as a piece of Lalique.
Always good to get an id though.

A nephew has a tropical fish business and the family have become somewhat fish orientated. ::)
I am always on the lookout for fish related odds and sods, this would be just the kind of thing I would pick up for them, very nice.

John

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Re: Help with Signature on Fish Vase - Lalique???
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
mmmmmmmmm looks suspiciously wrong to me too I am afraid.  All the bits I have come across at auctions, the signature is always very tiny and around the very edge on the underside or base edge area

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Re: Help with Signature on Fish Vase - Lalique???
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
You got the wrong end of the thread!  It was never aksed if this was Lalique.  It is NOT and we have always known that

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand