No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I'm desperate to know what this bowl was/is, and who by  (Read 825 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm desperate to know what this bowl was/is, and who by
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »
I watched this for ages and nearly bid on it, but decided not at the last minute.
What is it?  Is it cameo? or engraved or what? 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-Nouveau-deco-French-glass-bowl-incised-overlay-Daum-/280691974568?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item415a8ba1a8

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: I'm desperate to know what this bowl was/is, and who by
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Have I broken protocol here?  Apologies if so.. but the item had ended.
I just thought the effect  was reminiscent of some pieces I'd seen attributed to Delatte? but I couldn't reconcile the shape or the execution.  Hence my question.
Feel free to ignore me  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
hello m  -  I had just typed the following......am I also doing something wrong in commenting....??   please delete pronto if I am out of order. :)

I'm a great believer in the maxim that you shouldn't open your mouth if you don't know your subject, and I since I know less than nothing about Daum......here goes.      These images seem not to show any deep cutting/etching, so would suggest that this is not cameo decoration in the usual sense, although it was, apparently, etched Art Nouveau cameo glass that introduced Daum to the world of decorative glass.        This particular type of image is untypical of 'Art Deco' style - which doesn't mean it wasn't made 1920 - 35, but that stylistically it owes vastly more to pre first war fashion (Art Nouveau) than the geometric imagery that came later.       Some forms of decoration, from this period, have been produced by flashing, or other forms of colour staining, and used in conjunction with acid etching it is possible to alter, selectively, some of the underlying colours, and the rim chip and the clear base might possibly indicate that this piece was decorated in a similar way.        The assertive use of the name Daum might be considered misleading as, of course, this type of decoration was also created by other factories, and I'm not quite sure why it......"must date to around 1920".
Nonetheless it is an attractive piece of glass, and I guess back lit would look very beautiful. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
If you scroll down on this link to the third piece of glass down on the pictures, there is a pic of a violet Delatte vase .  This is the kind of thing it reminded me of.  But I couldn't see that the execution or method of achieving that effect  was the same  :-\

http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/edtog.html
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
Not strictly relevant, but I also meant to say, and forgot, that Daum still produce pate de verre - possibly the only remaining factory who do.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
Paul, Daum do still produce pate de verre pieces as far as I know, but just to add there are independent studio glass makers who also produce pate de verre currently and certainly Liuligongfang make some amazingly beautiful pieces as well, I think produced in a number of places.
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
M you posted into Cafe so maybe it's not been seen by anyone who can help. I'll move it to Glass for you now... and there's no problem with asking about items as you did, don't worry. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
thank you Anne  :)  and pheww...glad I hadn't committed a faux pas.
m

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
well to my eyes this piece does not look like single layer cameo, looks like it has been flashed " stained " or even hand painted and not a good example as not enough detail, the shape of the vase looks very modern and  looks like the ones you can buy in the charity shops, i think it went for to much money
cheers Ray

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:03 PM »
Thank you Ray.  I came to a similar conclusion... But then the seller has sold some amazingly high end (high price) ceramics recently so I just wondered where I'd gone wrong with my thoughts when the bids went so high  :spls2:
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand