No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso vase with four coloured applied side trails and twisted base - Seguso?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I did quite a bit of searching before I bought this and rather a lot since  :spls: and at the risk of embarrassing myself severely, is this an Archimede Seguso vase does anyone know?
Sold as Murano, but I've checked Czechoslovakian (thought maybe Skrdlovice given the rim and thickness but no luck, then found a Pavel Hlava vase with trails but not the same vase at all), Czech, some Polish and Chinese as well as Murano (although I've probably missed something vital like Malaysian glass I've just remembered) as far as I can and what I have found are the following two links.  Both are attributed to A Seguso, one is Svazzo's  and looks the most similar to mine but different  colours, smaller vase, and 'fatter' trails, the other different but some similarities -
Mine is 10" 925cm) tall and 12cm widest and weighs 3kg or 6 3/4lb rim thickness is 1 1/4" or 3cm.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7241240

http://cgi.ebay.com/Murano-SEGUSO-Light-Blue-Green-Yellow-SOMMERSO-Vase-/120740168100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1cacc1a4&clk_rvr_id=244353386805&x=26&y=5

Any thoughts very much appreciated as I have very few book resources here on Murano glass.
Many thanks  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I also found this picture which appears to have items from the same colour palate as my vase ??
 m (scroll down to the picture on the left which says cornucopi 1956)

http://www.aseguso.com/quaderni/book-4

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
flyingfree, first I don't know who made your vase, but I can tell that it is a good one. The colors and rim look like it could have easily come from Seguso VdA or Archimede Seguso. I think you are looking in the right neighborhood. Wish I could say for sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Anita, many thanks.  I shall keep looking for further evidence then. 
m

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Hi flying...there is a similar piece down in murano but without the twists. And I actually found the link...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29032.0.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Kane
Thanks for that!  I will do a quick post there and a link to here so Andy doesn't miss it.
I'm going to stick my neck out here even though I probably don't know enough to have experience to do so....I am absolutely convinced my vase is Murano glass and is high quality.  It is impeccably made and finished, the sommerso is beautifully done and the applied trails down the sides are also executed immaculately well, not only in how they are finished submerged into the foot glass completely, but also how they are wound around the body of the vase.  The base edges are bevelled and the rim of the base shows years of wear, not just the random scratches on the base.  There is nothing sloppy on this vase.

Whilst this is not an indicator, I have had and still  do have, some Czechoslovakian glass and it doesn't sit right with those pieces (Large Skrdlovice Beranek vase and a Chribska 'Bat' vase and a more recent Czech large vase are what I still have).  It is much thicker in glass than the Beranek vase, all the way down 3cm thick, the rim is not the same as the Beranek piece, which is very thick but much thinner than this vase, and actually the walls of that Beranek vase become thinner under the rim if you run your finger round the interior.  However put it together with my large red and gold Murano bowl and amber and clear winged Murano vase and they work perfectly well together.  As I said, not a way to make an id, but sometimes those little points help.

So there is no question in my mind (and it seems not in Andy's either reading the linked thread), but it's just finding the maker that is elusive  ;D

thanks again
m

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Hi flying...definitely murano but as to the maker the question is still out!!!

I have not seen these pieces here in OZ and we do not have a labeled example as yet. They do look well made though, and i would love to hold and see one. I don't think they are by SVdA or A.S though.

The worst though is, I have seen some high quality sommerso with the generic 'Made In Murano' label though cropping every now an then. I certainly hope one doesn't crop up though like these examples with that label. I am still on the look out...maybe the mods could move this to Murano for later...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
aah, is it possible these are by Luigi Onesto?
see link here

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2593

thoughts welcomed  :)
thanks so much
m

Offline Andy

• Members
Thanks m,
very interesting, a lovely vase. I think our vases are a little older than the one on fossilfly, if the poster says he
bought it in 2001. Did you see alink on that fossilfly thread to some vases on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110420854674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

From the text, it mentions 'I bought when I was there in 2007 at Cam Vetri D'Arte.  There website is www.cam-murano.com and they are one of the oldest most respected glass blowing studios and galleries on the island. '
It may be worth emailing them ? Im just going away for a few days, so bit busy today, but i did buy another vase last year, that i think must be from the same factory, i will post some photos this afternoon on my other thread.

Getting close on these!
Andy
 ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Andy

• Members
Heres another vase , i feel is probably from the same maker, i think i found it an auction a year or two ago.
No twists or wings, but similar in style and Sommerso colours. Its 14inches tall. 
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand