No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Glass Float Bowl  (Read 2631 times)

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
Uranium Glass Float Bowl
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
Hi all

Can anyone ID the maker of this float bowl for me please? Would also like to know the correct figure / flower frog to match this lovely bowl. Any info is much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance

Cheers
Brenton

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Uranium Glass Float Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:42:54 AM »
Hi Brenton
I have had this in frosted blue with a flower frog(the base that holds September morn) and a vase that fits into the frog-in fact I still have the frog and vase but sold the bowl only recently.
I have seen the bowl many times on top of the lady holding column comport base,and I have seen that set also as a lamp.The bowl also comes in a different shape with a flared rim and has had the girl on turtle in it which I used to have in frosted blue.Could it be possibly Schweig,Mueller & co?
Best wishes Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
Hi Nigel

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

I have the Windy Wendy and Sept Morn figures with the correct flower frogs (the normal one and the rocky type base). I tired to fit them onto this bowl. They fit in BUT not perfect, leaving some gaps around. These figures are so small, and I wouldn't think they are the right ones for this bowl.

I then tried to put the boy riding a fish and also the girl riding the turtle. Both bases are just too big for the rim of the bowl  >:(

Finally, I put this bowl on the lady with column, it fits, and again not a perfect fit, another word, it wobbles when you move the bowl around :(
Mentioning on this lady with column base, I have two in my collection, both are green. One glows and one without. The one which glows has got a Rgd Number etched on the base and it DOES NOT hold a bowl on the top, wherelse the other non uranium one does, but no Rgd number on the bottom.....I wonder why??

Cheers...Brenton

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »
Brenton
I believe the reg numbers are something to do with export....I have read a few names associated with her such as M&J Guggenheim,Jules Lang and Cohen but not sure if these were the distributors?
I find the same thing myself sometimes where fitting bowls is concerned,I have had the cherubs base before and bought a bowl only to find it won't fit at all.Some of the bowls have a lip underneath that should slip into place.The girl on turtle when I had her did fit into the bowl but the bowl was a variation of the one you show...it was slighly wider with a flared top rim.
I have attached a photo of the blue one I recently sold,also a photo of another bowl which I have seen with windy wendy with frosted leaves which I also believe can fit on top of the lady holding column base.
Nige

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22:46 AM »
The lady with the column had the Rgd 755635 etched on the bottom, and one site suggested that this number was registered by a company called M & J Guggenheim..... its sounds like a German company and could be in relation to Mueller & Co??.

or did M&J Guggenheim bought the mold from Mueller and registered the design in 16th June 1930? Having said that, there are no info you can find on the net re: M&J Guggenheim being a glass maker/factory.

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
Thanks for the photo btw.....I can see some lovely glass in the background :)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
I myself have tried looking for info on Guggenheim to no avail.I think if we are patient info will start coming out of the woodwork though I think some info was lost during the war.
Incidently the photo I posted of the green lady carring the urn I have just found the correct float bowl for her but in plain clear part frosted....made by Libochovice it was frosted waves crashing and seagulls around it.It is also the bowl for the kneeling lady aswell.
I take pics in my kitchen as the sunlight is better in that room and I have a cabinet full of glass aswell as a sideboard with glass on it.My partner despairs! lol

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
Hi again

Do you mind sharing the photo of the correct bowl for the lady with urns / the kneeling lady please? You mentioned that the bowl had seagulls on it.....my question is, what are the seagulls got to do with the lady with urns / kneeling lady as both have different motifs?? though all pieces are made by the same maker, Libochovice :)

Cheers
Brenton

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi Brenton
Here are some pics I haven't received the bowl as yet so waiting for it to arrive.
In the Libochovice catalogue it shows both ladies on the same page and then below them is this bowl.
I think with both figures the theme of the rocks and with one lady holding a water urn and the other like she is kneeling on rocks I think it's something to do with the sea hence the bowl?

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
It's a beautiful bowl.....thanks for sharing. Hope You'll find a green one soon :). I'm temporarily putting my kneeling lady on the flower bowl, the one which we usually see with the lady holding a bunch of flowers :), wondering if this could be another piece made by Libochovice???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand