No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Mdina - early seahorse 1973  (Read 16680 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Dating Mdina - early seahorse 1973
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
my treat will be if the tax office actually deliver the small rebate I am owed within the two weeks they claim they will ;D  (hopefully will fund the airfare for my Barcelona trip with friend :rah:)
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
 From chopin-liszt:   " That one's Mtarfa - Phoenician make them too."

But they are all Maltese, aren't they Sue??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
 :thud:
You waste glass money on holidays???????

m - there's no hope for you.   :cry:

Phoenician, Mtarfa, Mdina and Gozo are all related to the island of Malta, yes, Rosie.
(But Gozo was set up and is run by English folk.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
That's possibly why the Gozo stuff looks different? I have got a few pieces....and some phoenician as well.
Rosie.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
They all arose because of Michael Harris originally, but Gozo is the newest and had his input after he'd been at Isle of Wight Studio Glass, while the others arose from the work and teaching he'd done at Mdina. Paul Said, one of the original Mdina apprentices, set up Mtarfa, and Phoenician Glass was set up by Leonard Mulligan (on Manoel island). Gozo was set up by (the same) Leonard Mulligan and Rupert Brookes with Michael Harris.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
So can anyone give a link to an image of a Joseph Said complete Chess set......... Or even a Rook, Pawn etc.

As far as we know a set was made for a commission, it appears they were not made thereafter. How likely is it that the owner has posted photos of it? I appreciate this is no argument for it's existence, just it's non appearance.

As for Mdina seahorses in general, :-X.
Three sold at an auction I attended on Saturday for thirty quid :o, there is 'one' born everyday.... Mind you I have seen an Ikea tat vase sell for twenty quid at that auction and you can find one of those (like a p1ss pot with a bent top) in every charity shop in the country.

Gozo generally make the most interesting glass from Malta these days, IMHO.

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
"Gozo generally make the most interesting glass from Malta these days, IMHO."

I have to agree with you there John....I have some Gozo ellies that are a delight, and a bright yellow Phoenician ellie that is different to any of the Mtarfa ones I have......

But back to the 'seahorses'......I have never really hankered after one, but I thought the pink Phoenician one was really rather more carefully made.
Rosie.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
I always thought they were made because of the association that Malta has with Knights. As in the Knights of Malta.

I still think that makes sense bearing in mind they are made by all the Maltese glass works.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
I agree with the Gozo comments ;D
A bit off topic, im on holiday on the isle of wight for a few days with the parents! first time for 30 odd years or more!
Sunday, i watched Timothy Harris blowing glass , super stuff, prices of new IOW glass, not cheap!
I had to mention to him, that i had one of his Dads early crizzle stones  with original price sticker on it £8-2-6!
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19092.0.html
he offered to buy it back at the same price  ;)
My Dad, asked him for a photo with me, which he was glad to do. I will post it when i get home .
Cheers all,
Andy
 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »
Hope you're having a wonderful time Andy..and good weather.
Sue I have two obsessions, one is glass but the overriding one is travel.  Before kids we did a lot of travelling, now that is severely curtailed so any opportunity I have to go abroad I take, and one of my great loves is Spain, especially Barcelona  :rah: 
In defence of the seahorses, I've had a couple of them, quite large, given away as presents.  I have to say that I thought they made fantastic pressies especially for kids (one went to the goddaughter of a friend who is into horses) and also that many non-glassy people are especially attracted to them.  I guess so many wouldn't be made if they didn't sell, so perhaps it's just that glassy people don't particularly like them, but the general public do.
Personally I prefer a vase anyday  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand