No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Globe Vase - Mdina Script Help Required.........  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Mdina Globe Vase - Mdina Script Help Required.........
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
Hi,

Looking for some clarification on the signing of the 'Mdina' signature on this early globe vase, which measures approximately 6 inches tall and high.

Wondering if this was applied by Michael Harris due to the thinly executed nature of the script..? (please see pic 3)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Greg
 :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Globe Vase - Mdina Script Help Required.........
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
I think it is far to big and too uneven to be Michael Harris - it does however, look a bit like Dobson's script.
When Michael Harris has put Mdina on a base - it looks almost as if a line had been ruled under the word to keep the letters even. His writing is quite tiny.

(I am sitting with a couple of MH Mdina-only scripts in my mitts)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
Harris didnt do the long lines on the tail of the A either. I have a paperweight currently listed, with the Harris Mdina writting, if you compare it with the harris script on the IOW signed PW i have, the writting is the same size and almost identical (hard to tell from the pics though as the IOW mark doesnt show up as well on photographs because of the colouring
Plus what Sue says about it being straight, You can actually put a ruler under the mark on mine and almost every letter sits perfectly on the same line
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/Mdina#5625185333994518082
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/IsleOfWight#5625420399736583954
michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
Ummm - the a on the one I'm looking at now has a great long tail, curling upwards - it's almost like a w, (but that is an unusual feature).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Here is a Harris version: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11858

There are other examples of his script in that album too, MH was highly skilled with an engraver.

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »
haha well there you go Sue, all my Harris ones have had a short tail, never seen a long tailed one. The one shown on page 132 of Mark Hill's book has the short tail too
Can you pop a pic on so i can see it please, I have a couple more pieces that i have always thought not to be his as they have the long tail. Im quite excited now, I may have more than i first thought
thanks michelle

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Thanks all, the comparison are useful, always good to have a handful to compare against.

On the aspect of date, I was initially drawn to this piece because of the shape and button rim....I tentatively presume it would be safe to assume that this would have been produced before 1972?

Thanks,
Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
Dobson stayed on after MH left - but I don't know for certain how long. I'm sort of assuming until about '75, as that was when Said took charge.
Give me a wee whiley to sort some pics........
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
My thoughts were that Dobson was also around until the mid 70s, however, the shape and rim indicated that it was likely to be pre 72 in date.

Just to touch on the subject of the Harris scripted Mdina mark, I see that although MH signed many pieces, that this is not a guarantee that the piece was personally made by him...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
Michael Harris did not sign many pieces Greg!
He was always very reluctant to do so. Some of the bits for the American market were signed, as they were a bit more insistent about it. A fiar few Japanese Globe vases were signed - this was, I beliveve, a small experiment to see if it made them sell better.
I am of the opinion that the bits I have with his script on the base are his work. I would have that opinion of these bits without his script on the base too.

ok, pics. All of these are very early pieces.

Two MH scripts, one on an early inside-out pot, the other one an early ink pot (the long "a" one) (both on blue/green glass)

Two Dobson scripts, both on early ink pots. (both on amethyst glass)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand