No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Globe Vase - Mdina Script Help Required.........  (Read 5078 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Mdina Globe Vase - Mdina Script Help Required.........
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
It is said that Harris, did on occasion engrave the factory mark on pieces that he did not make, but that he "oversaw" the making of, although personally i doubt that he did this very often.
Firstly as Sue says he signed very little, secondly he would have been way to busy to have been the factory engraver for any amount of time, unless he made the item personally.

michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
For clarification:-

The two scripts on amethyst bits are Dobson's.

The ones on the blue/green bits are MH.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »
Re the date of your vase Greg, it is not in the style of the very early globes (note the rim): https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5490048396067114674

It is similar to this one (which has that Mdina in MH's script on the base that I linked to earlier): https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5429986759973490098

As time wore on, especially after 1972, the rims grew taller from the body of the vase as well as wider. I would guess that yours was made anytime between 1971 and 1973 give or take a year.  ::)

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 12:16:21 PM »
sorry Sue, I jumped the gun a bit and wrote before i looked properly (how unlike me.. not :-[). modified and gone  :wsh:
Thats a really good curly A at the end, I will be checking my collection again me thinks.
The signiture on the top on is almost identical to the one on my dump weight
thanks michelle

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
Perhaps I should have worded that slightly differently, just wanted to include in the discussion that not all MH Mdina
signed pieces were personally made by him, appreciate that the number in question may well be fairly small.

A fiar few Japanese Globe vases were signed - this was, I beliveve, a small experiment to see if it made them sell better.

I sure the signing of the Japanese globes has had the desired effect in terms of selling better today!

Thanks for posting the additional Pics, particularly the Dobson ink pots, the Mdina script on my globe vase does show a strong resemblance.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
Thanks for the links too the globe vases John. I use to own one of the later more squat shaped versions a couple of years back, thought this latest one had more going for it.

Having trouble with some of the links... think my PC is struggling, to many glass pics on the hard drive ::)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Here is another one , I think the script is in the same hand. It's 4 3/4 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches wide with a wider rim (which is slightly uneven in thickness). For what it's worth, it has the remnants of a very small label (only 9mm wide) which I think reads M508. Thought I would add it here as it's good to get another example of what I think is the same script.  Certainly the 'dina' look the same.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
Looks very Dobson-ny to me.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
Thanks Sue , I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be having looked at your examples. Can these labels/numbers give clues  to age ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
If they do, I'd love to know about it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand