No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb Large Cameo Vases - one unfinished  (Read 2182 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Thomas Webb Large Cameo Vases - one unfinished
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Thank-you very much, Mike - I love the mushrooms!
(I'm not "big" on flowery stuff, but I can see the quality.  :thup: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »
I am pleased you like.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bristolblueglass

• Members
    • Bristol Blue Glass Museum
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
Heres a link to some of her work.  http://www.abfabglass.co.uk/page22.html

This is lovely work Mike. I really like the yellow under white. I've not really known about cameo glass for very long. Its only since I was tasked to photograph our museum that I really got an intimate look at the pieces. I have since been on line and seen quite a bit of the stunning work that Webb made in the past which is of international importance.

We make Graal glass at the moment which uses the overlay technique; bringing a post and a bubble together and then overlaying the bubble. It can be quite tricky when overlaying more than one colour or mixed colours. Is it safe to say that is how Cameo is produced? Or would a second furnace be used at high temperatures to dip the overlays?

Ben

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Richard always had 4+ colourways on the go so he would dip the pieces into the colourways he & Terri wanted. Not an easy skill to aquire as the overlays have to be so thin otherwise you dont get the definition in the carving.
Richard & Terri would normally choose a base colour and then overlay with white and a very dark purple which to all intense and purposes showed up black.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
I should have added that up until 10 years ago Terri had never ever done a piece of Cameo work, she was at Okra as a Paintress and she was fantastic at it. (See her enamel work on my site)  Richard and Terri were sat there discussing various designs and Terri was doodling for want of a better exspression with a pencil on paper, Richard noticed and thought that if Terri could do that with pencil and paper then to take it one step further into the world of Cameo should be possible. As they say the rest is history. Terri has never received any form of training in how to Cameo its just pure British artistic ability, something which is not praised in this country loud enough.
I know she will be over the moon with all your comments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand