No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cylindric brown vase with bubbly, powdery and metallic inclusions  (Read 439 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Please help with ID of this vase! :)

Clear glass with red-brown and white powdery pattern plus air bubbles and metallic inclusions; height 20cm, clear casing, uneven fire-polished rim, mould-shaped(?) base.

Bought because I liked the technique (reminds a little bit of Ikora), but not so sure about the quality, so could be quite modern...?

Thanks!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Cylindric brown vase with bubbly, powdery and metallic inclusions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:11:45 AM »
I can only echo your own feelings, I'm afraid.

The colouring looks like the sort of techniques that Wiedmann used for WMF in the Ikora range, and even more what he did later at Gral Glas, but either of these factories would have produced a thicker quality and a much better finish. Could be modern, somewhere in Asia for instance, or perhaps 70s but by a smaller factory.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
It looks fairly standard hand-blown and shaped to me. Clear gather, marvered enamels and charcoal or similar to create bubbles followed by a final clear gather then shaping. Could be factory or studio but although not very clear grinding on base looks to have been done on a larger grinder than found in the average studio. One characteristic of hand blown glass is horizontal ripples that can be seen both internally and externally with light at the right angle. These being an artefact of the shaping tools. Although technically the rim is fire polished, that term is used more for mould blown glasses that are subject to an extra process of fire polishing after the rim is cut. The open end would have been where it was attached to the blowpipe and cut of after transferring to the ponty iron. During shaping and reheating the edge becomes naturally rounded.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
Astrid, Frank, thanks a lot for your contributions!

That is what I thought -- Gralglas should have a more quality finish. So maybe Eastern Europe?

Unfortunately I am still not very firm when it comes to glass working techniques...

What I might add is that the outer clear casing is smooth and shiny, I can't detect any horizontal ribbing (if any ribbing it looks more spiral, but hardly visible); the inside is very uneven (the inclusions and bubbles can be felt through the surface), and glass thickness is increasing signifantly towards the bottom. The base shows no sign of grinding as far as I can see.

By accident I saw a small vase yesterday whith the same pattern, but a completely different shape (inkwell with ruffled edge); so I would think not a studio piece.

I had hoped that the rather special technique would make this one easier to ID :) (even if it was just contemporary Romanian glass)

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Ripples not ribbing and could appear spiral but should be almost invisible it is only an artefact of hand smoothing. Uneven interior would suggest not much tooling done to smooth it and the bubble formation would leave such an effect without smoothing. Mostly I see this approach smoother internally so this was perhaps a less skilled bit of work. If there is no grinding of base, thought it showed in pic, then you are probably looking at a studio piece from almost anywhere in the world.

The piece in this topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41718.0.html is a an example of what can be achieved in this method of decoration. As is of course a lot of Monart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand