No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What have I bought? Glass Cherry Tree - what is it for & where is it from?  (Read 4707 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
The moulding on the base....like little pimples are so similar Frank....I really think there are too many similarities to dismiss it yet. 
It might be worth you buying this one Jak just so you can get your hands on it to see the label and compare them.....it isn't too expensive.
What do you think?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks for the comments Frank, Rosie and Rose.

Rose - I really don't think it has ever been in a pot - just wouldn't be balanced properly. I have seen lots of those little trees in pots but this one is much more substantial than those.

Rosie, thanks,  the link you sent is very similar - base is identical in shape and the way it is made - leaves and fruit and trunk also very similar. I have emailed the seller to see if they know anything about age and to ask for a view of the label.

Frank - I would be interested to know what differences you see between the one in Rosie's link and mine? Cannot tell of course whether that one is stained or coloured glass. And I think you are spot on with the home lampworker idea.  Amazing to think someone made each separate leaf and shaped it individually !
Still curious as to what it is for ? A table centrepiece perhaps? or just an ornament?  I can see me putting it on the Christmas table with my green stemmed wine glasses :D
Thanks everyone for your interest . JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Sorry Rosie - our postings overlapped. - Would buy the other one except for postage costs - a killer given where I live!  I just hope the seller will respond to my questions.
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Hi Jak (Oh goodness, that's as bad as saying Hi Jean to my friend!!) You're up early and I'm up late....2.25am.....just got carried away with this search!
I agree the similarities are too great to dismiss....
It would seem that these pieces that are made in the Philippines are feng shui pieces and different blossoms, fruits and the like are to invoke different luck into the home.  I am trying to find out more, but it would seem that red is auspicious in a home, and some had glass coins attached to bring wealth into the house.......interesting..........I must get off to bed now,  but will carry on looking over the next few days...OK?
Rosie.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks Rosie - your efforts are appreciated - I am not up early - 9.30 am here - it is my day off so being lazy ! Sleep well.
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline rosieposie

• Members
G'day Jak...it is just about 9.30am  here now!!  Did you have any more luck in your searching....it must be about Tea time for you now?? :t:
Rosie.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The leaves would be made with something like a button mould, there is a description on the board somewhere.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks Frank - I found the link to the  "Schmiedeeiserne Knopfzange mit Mechanismus für das Knopfloch"  Very interesting to see.
And Morning, Rosie - yes it is tea time here now (5.20 pm as I write this - I think we are 7 hours ahead of you in the UK at present. We don't change our clocks here in Western Australia so we are either 8 hrs or 7 hrs ahead of you depending on the season. I always have to think before I phone my sisters over there) - just got back from food shopping.

Haven't been on the computer all day have been busy so might trawl again this evening after tea is cooked.  I do think the one made in the Philippines is very close to mine though.

I feel sad for the poor outworkers who made this though - sounds like slave labour, high risk work and I expect very little reward. Whether it was Bohemia or the Philippines makes no difference. 

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline rosieposie

• Members
This interesting link confirms Franks description and so I thought you might like to see it.

http://bellomodo.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/discover-the-art-behind-czech-glass-buttons/
Rosie.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
If you can read German, and subscribe  ;) which helps the effort, you can read a detailed account of the conditions of the Czech glass workers... chilling reading. http://www.glass-study.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand