No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for emerald-uranium bowl  (Read 618 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for emerald-uranium bowl
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
optically moulded emerald coloured bowl - 8.5" in diameter - very high quality 'ding' with good ground/polished circular pontil mark - slightly unsymmetrical and slopes to one side.        Flat part of foot has a mould pattern (type of circular dimples) which I've seen before (on continental pieces?? - perhaps like some of the Czech mould blown glass).   Rim is fire polished.     Colour is so widely off the usual uv reaction green that it was only when the sunlight caught the edges that some fluorescence could be seen, and the last picture is taken using the torch.     I could be wrong, and it might be shed loads of manganese (and I've seen many pieces with a manganese glow), but this 'glow' seems far too intense to be other than u., but I will look again in the dark tonight.    Probably no mileage in finding a factory, but wondered it this emeral colour might indicate some particular souce.    Plenty of base wear, and if pushed I'd go for pre 1940.   All thoughts welcome, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: id request for emerald-uranium bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
My only thought is that it's not emerald (green). I guess I'd call that teal.
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
thanks, and you are quite possibly correct .......the reason for thinking 'emerald' was that initially I thought it might have been a pre war W/Fs. piece, but that idea has now disappeared, although I seemed to have retained the name of the colour.      It's a bit strong perhaps for emerald, so maybe you correct.    Nonetheless, don't believe I have seen this colour glowing previously  -  quite unusual (for me) :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
It's uranium; teal uranium is not so common but it's about. (Teal American depression glass is sometimes uranium for a start). I'd look at Stevens and Williams or Walsh Walsh maybe. This colour in lead crystal is on my wish list; I saw a lovely piece but it had a huge footprint. If it's still there next time we visit this place, it may come home.

Does the optic look like my posy? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41820.msg232282.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
thanks  -  I can't see the outline detail of your optic pattern too clearly, although it seems to have the appearance of a sort of 'honeycomb' effect.    Believe my optic pattern is along the same lines, albeit on a larger scale - almost a sort of 'quilted' look  -  individually the lenses are a bit like a stylized rain drop - slightly pointed at the top and rounded at the bottom.     I've just looked through Reynolds, but he doesn't put 'uranium' or 'teal' in the index, unless the green cut bowl at the bottom of page 47 is 'teal'.    Neither does the author show any of the 'Pompeian' range in that colour.      Assume you are arriving at the possibility of Walsh from the optic pattern only?  -  and are you able to tell me where I might look for examples of S. & W. by the way. :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »
I'm arriving at Walsh Walsh for mine from the colour (a yellow Pompeian vase, a yellow grapefruit dish and a primrose bowl I own) and the shape (a Pompeian in Skelcher in green). Teal may not be the official colour but it's commonly used for a slightly greenish blue.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
Hi Paul, similar base, diamond moulded pattern and colour seen here in a beaker style vase, I also made the mistake of describing it has Emerald, never thought of putting under a light.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/EmeraldGreenDiamondMoulding

The link to the post..............

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36869.0.html

Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
Just glad you boys aren't buying me emeralds for Xmas...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
thanks Chris  -  so does yours 'glow', or not?  -  anyway certainly looks very similar colour, and thanks again to Christine for her help, and if we were affluent we'd buy you an emerald (but it might only be a small one - cos we have spent all out money on glass) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand