No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with signature on perfume bottle. ID = M B Stonor Studios, Australia  (Read 3334 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Hi,

Bought this gorgeous weighty perfume bottle. I cannot understand the signature. Im hoping someone with more knowledge might recognise it. Ive done searches for Stener and Stoner? But it could be something totally different. Maybe someone will recognise the style with the stretched bubbles etc?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8395 bottle
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8394 pic 2
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8393 signature closeup
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8392 base with signature.

Thanks,
Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Help with signature on handblown perfume bottle.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
I have a piece with the same sig - will post a pic tomorrow. I thought it might be Stonor for Bernard Stonor.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »
That would be great Cathy, cant wait to see yours!...You and I must both be night owls :)

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »
Hi again Trudy! He seems to do mainly lampwork, but it might be worth trying to contact him. I'll see what I can do (no promises on time though, life's a bit busy at the moment!)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
This is indeed an early blown perfume bottle by Bernard Stoner of Kangaroo Island, South Australia. The photos below show a somewhat later perfume bottle, which has a similar general shape and the same trailed collar. The artist has a website, where it is seen that he spent 20 years blowing furnace glass before turning to lampwork.

The OP may have found her answer by another route, in which case this reply is for the record and the benefit of other members. (Speaking of records, this resolution is 7 years and 115 days after the original query. That is a new personal best for me.)

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Help with signature on perfume bottle. ID = M B Stonor Studios, Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
Let me try again with the spelling: Bernard Stonor.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand