No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: See what I *HELD* in my hand today.....  (Read 1085 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
See what I *HELD* in my hand today.....
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
 :chky: is how I am feeling.  Kinda just a show and tell today with a  ;D

I spotted this today at a thrift type of store.  Of course it had the Price tag over the bottom and they are really sticky ones there (and if you loosen the whole tag that it does not stick) they will put it in the back for re-sale the next day.  Having seen some pieces like this (because of the board here) and looking up names of glass makers....I was pretty sure that I had seen this item as a ROBERT HELD glass item on the Net.  So I just bought it and did not want to lift up the price tag to see if anything was under it...........yet.   Got it for a Song and a dance (cheap).... LOL.   Waited till I got to my car to carefully remove that sticky price tag in case it had a label under the price tag and/or signature.    Well, no label and looked for a signature of Robert Held.  Rats, there was none  :cry:. 

Only saw something that looked like it said R. HAG.  Who is R. Hag????  Rats, this was not Robert held -- and here I was so sure it was.

Got into my car and wanted to look at that signature of R. HAG while I was driving -- but that is Not a good thing to do driving.  I thought again -- "Rats, I was so sure it was a Robert Held item......not R. HAG. " 

Then as I was driving it suddenly popped into my head that R.HAG was ---->  Robert Held Art Glass ---->  DOH  

So I had a lapse of brain cells  :thud: :thud: :thud:    Pretty little thing, and MY first piece of Robert Held Art Glass  :thup:

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: See what I *HELD* in my hand today.....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
What a relief I wondered wht we were going to see.
Are you going to post the song and a dance on Youtube?
Well done for finding the glass.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
What a relief I wondered wht we were going to see.
Are you going to post the song and a dance on Youtube?
Well done for finding the glass.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

;D  Thanks....even better was the Price !!!! 

Here is my song and dance  LOL  :24: :24: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XN76o_mju0   I posted it on Ytube already  :24: :24: :24:  Called the Robert Held Boogie !!!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »
His pieces are sometimes signed Skookum , i have an iridescent paperweight of his signed skookum . i love his work and have had a few pieces , i believe he retired a couple of years ago .  :hiclp: jp

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
How soon can I come and stay with you Rose and visit your thrift store..........is yesterday ok??  :wsh:

I'M bouncing up and down for you.  :chky: :chky:

What a pretty piece that is......just in time for the Autumn.  :girlcheer:

Just noticed it was listed as Knicks Knacks.... :24: :24:  jp, were you asleep!!?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Just for the record his first studio was Skookums(have a nice little irridescent Pwt).

Quoute from his website "In 1978 I opened a hot glass studio - Skookum Art Glass Inc. - with one inexperienced helper.  Initially, my plan was to have the production support my art.  In the end, it was our production art glass that took off and I had a small but moderately successful business on my hands.  After meeting my future wife, Chris, the two of us decided to move to Vancouver and open our current studio in beautiful British Columbia: Robert Held Art Glass.  This year we're celebrating twenty-six years in business and the company's doing better than ever."

I really like his work too.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
Well done, Rose.

The Maple Leaf paperweight is still on sale (as at Aug 4, 2011) via the Robert Held Art Glass website and has a price that is a bit more than a "song and a dance". :)
KevinH

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
Well done, Rose.

The Maple Leaf paperweight is still on sale (as at Aug 4, 2011) via the Robert Held Art Glass website and has a price that is a bit more than a "song and a dance". :)

Thanks all -- I just wanted one of his pieces (being Canadian - him/me) to have somewhere down the road.  Now I have one.  Still saved a small bit of money and at a price I like  ;D.  If he retired then his pieces will only increase in some value down the Road.....?

Nice to hear all you other folks have items by him (over-the-pond, etc).  Now.....I finally find a piece of his here!!!  I can now stroke that off my list of Glass items that I wanted to get somewhere, and at sometime !!  :thup:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »

*Just an UP-DATE as I found some more Robert Held items -- Three (3) different hearts.... :thup:  Thought I would just add them here in this post since they are all Robert Held work that I have here myself.  Bought these 3 hearts at that same auction where I got his Candlesticks from -- so I got these 3 small hearts of different colors.

I think I have a total of 7 pieces now by him, and ALL signed:

~ the Maple Leaf
~ these 3 Hearts
~ The Dome shaped PW
~ the 2 Candle Sticks

So nice little collection of his I have now.............considering a short while again I had *Zero* pieces   :hiclp:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
Hi Ross did you buy the weight on ebay from the UK ? I sold one that i believe went to OZ several years ago under my sons EBAY name it was signed skookum . good wishes jp.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand