No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chippendale Jug?  (Read 512 times)

Offline malc57

• Members
Chippendale Jug?
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Hi all

Here we are again and the learning curve continues. This time my guess is that this pretty heavy little jug (14cms tall)
is a Chippendale. It has clean lines and is of simple design (see pic). Is this another pressed glass produce of the 50s, my guess is that it could be earlier? Does a bubble inclusion always signify blown glass?

All input greatly appreciated
Malc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Chippendale Jug?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
Looks like Chippendale to me but some other makers did very similar designs... I have several of these in slightly different sizes (I think there was three sizes of them). If you look down into it can you see a mark that looks like a U combined with an S?  Some of mine have that, signifying they were US Glass production. This is one of mine: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-557
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malc57

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Anne
Thanks for the info, Chippendale is a distinct possibility. Will see what I can find via the Internet about the factory and when it started production

Regards
Malc

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Malc - re bubbles, no, these have nothing to do with method of manufacture.  The odd bubble is poor workmanship; masses of evenly spaced tiny bubbles ("seed") are bad furnace management.  Of course some bubbles are introduced deliberately for decorative purposes but that should be obvious.  Your article is pressed.

Adam D.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:36:25 AM »
Could you post a photo showing it straight from the side?  Seeing the profile would make it easier to identify.  There is a Chippendale jug that's very similar, could be the same - certainly look like it might be the same as Anne's jug.  Hers looks a little different from the one I have an image of, but since there were over 400 items made in the pattern over the course of its history (I've also heard over 600, but that may include very similar designs or different sizes of the same thing), that doesn't mean much!

Anne's right that other companies made similar designs.  Just to clarify, anything with a US Glass mark isn't Chippendale; the pattern (it's a pattern, not a factory) was made by Ohio Flint, Jefferson, and Central and then in England by Davidson.  Chippendale made in the US may have a "Krys-Tol" mark.  It was made starting in about 1907 and sold to Davidson in 1933.  

I wonder if Davidson's fluoresce in UV - that could be a clue to where a Chippendale piece was made.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
My one example of "Chippendale" was purchased in the UK. It is not signed or marked in any way and I have no idea who made it. Under UV it shows green for longwave and blue for shortwave. This suggests it has a decent lead content. Is that useful information?
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
Hmmm, my one set of Chippendale glows a greenish yellow in longwave UV, very similar to a lot of early depression/elegant glass.  If it's a true green I bet it's English.

I think I found the jug here, about 1/4 of the way down the page: http://cwglass.net/elegant.htm (sorry, I've forgotten how to embed links without having them show).  Looks to me like it's #930.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand