No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quite amazing 30s? looks like wood ID = Kinder Collection, US contemporary  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Quite amazing 30s? looks like wood
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
You can just post a link to the pictures

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
Aaaah - righto.  Thanks Lustrous!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
I would suspect this is Arts & Crafts and pre 1900. I cannot make out signature either... but it is likely someone significant - link  http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Beautiful-Brown-Glass-Vase-8437417.html#des

Further, the glass is probably a tortoiseshell effect, but is might be internally painted.

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
Oh heck Frank - I guess I should bid on it.  :sun:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
From what I have been able to glean reading a little, the vast majority of Lithyalin glass was produced for a relatively short period while it was fashionable between about 1830 and 1850. The process was developed by Friedrich Egermann and results in a many layered and coloured glass that was usually cut (important that cut bit) to reveal the effect and beauty.

The only two examples I have managed to pick up and have a close look at I saw at the National Glass Collectors Fair, they were both fantastic quality bits of glass and beautifully cut.

Examples:
http://www.cmog.org/uploadedImages/Exhibitions/Past_Exhibitions/66_3_20_lg.jpg
http://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/Lot/?Sale=PG040608&Lot=8
http://www.papilio.cz/en/archiv.php?aukce=a15&pol=3778&PHPSESSID=c184c2ffe111d7c341093fe7ccab68e0

Short article:
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/articles/friedrichegermann/

John

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
After a lot of thought and careful review of pics... some observation.

1. Pressed glass, body and base. Glued together.
2. Buttons could possibly be moonstones and not glass, would fit with Arts and Crafts.
3. The downward view shows the effect of light being focussed on the background by the buttons and this is suggestive of decoration being on the inner surface.

Tried to find a match of the shape of the signature in Hartmann, failed. There appears to be a logo to the left of the signature... could you ask seller for better pics of mark? Please e-mail to me if you get them.

Leaning towards a US maker and have eliminated (probably) Tiffany...that leaves a LOT of small companies making pressed glass in that period (1880-1910)... very frustrating.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »
I know nothing...................but just gonna throw my opinion in here, which could be as wrong as anything..... :spls: as it is the early a.m here  :sleep:

To me (IMHO) the *Base* appears to look like Chalkware  as there seem to be a couple of chips on the bottom with white showing through.  When I zoomed in there looked what is like a stamp with a flower in a box ?? or something like that (still hard to tell).  There is something impressed on it that looks like ??????? something like *beville* or something like that (as a guess).  But also when I zoomed in the base looked (to me, in my opinion) more like Chalkware

This is only my opinion, and I could be 500% wrong.....so it is just my opinion.   As we had member here (that accidently) thought a polished piece of stone was glass.......and a Black ceramic cat that looked like Glass.  So anything is possible.......

So I will bury my head in the Sand now  :ooh: :wsh:  as only my opinion *looking* at poor quality pics...and again, could be 500% wrong!!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Curious item. I agree with Rosie, the base looks ceramic.
Poppy, you must try to win it and find out what it is. My first thoughts, were that it may not be very old, but looking closer,
i really cant tell.
Good luck
 :thup:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 02:02:28 AM »
Guys - I can't thank you enough, this piece is totally doing my head in ("toe dully" - California, "doin' my 'ead in" - Bristol) . 

I've tried enlarging the logo and the signature to no avail.  I keep looking back at it and there are the usual suspects after it but I will definitely try and get it.  There are four days left and I will email them tomorrow morning, as they don't work weekends and see if I can get some sort of spelling of the name.

Just been outbid on a Timo Sarpaneva Orkidae vase on the same site, was shaking after the mad bidding (went for $250) and had to paint my friends bathroom after! 

So fingers crossed for this one.  But keep up the good work and  the more suggestions the merrier!

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »
It could also be a form of bakelite?  It wouldn't be the first time that something else has come up on the Goodwill glass page that isn't glass.  There was a wonderful piece of stone that was polished and ground into an ashtray on here. 

I  think it might say "germany" as the writing under the main "signature" but like we all say, it's very difficult to work out. I have emailed the seller in Orange County and will see what they say - they are normally very good at getting back. 

We'll it's late and very dreary and foggy in San Francisco so goodnight to you all.  And Rosie, yes, this is the best forum ever on the web!    :sun:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand